M2-ATX 4-pin configuration...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2-ATX 4-pin configuration...

Does anyone happen to know the pin configuration for the 4-pin plug on the M2-ATX?

I just want to double check.

I've got it as 2 - 12v and 2 - grounds.

However, the standard for the 24pin says it's not like that...standard says it's one of each (12, 5, 3.3, ground).

The 4-pin extension doesn't line up when plugging it in. The rounded pins and the square pins don't line up on the mobo side if you leave the clip facing the same way as the 20 pin ATX connector.

This is a J9F2 mobo fwiw.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

The 4-pin on the M2 is a so-called "4-pin P4 connector", or something like that. It is for plugging into a separate header on the motherboard, not the 24pin bit. You're right, it's not the same as the ATX bit.

You're mobo should power from just 20 ATX pins - if not, just get an adapter.

Comment

The adapter though just splits the signal, and to be ATX compliant, all 24pin motherboards should boot with a 20pin PSU. It just wont have all the power it wants. So if you are running a super hungry CPU, it may cause problems, but most motherboards will automatically regulate it now so the CPU will run in "mobile" mode and not go to full potential basically.

Those 4 extra on the 24pin from the 20 pin is the P4 x4 cable equivalent of today, but not interchangeable.

By the way, what ever happened to the 8pin extra power header? Those came and went fast. I only saw them on P4 Extreme Edition boards, and never again! I have so many of those damn cables and no use
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Thanks for the info guy. Running a mobile core 2 duo so it's not a power hungry processor. Will just leave it as is!

Thanks. Searched online for a while and couldn't find anything diffinitive.
        Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

...come on I'm right around the corner, and would love to see the new pad.
          Setup:
          Dynaudio 240GT
          PPI PC4100, PPI PC2350
          Zapco DSP6
          ADS DAC
          Testing new board (Albatron KI690-AM2)

"I dont know if complaints were filed, or mistakes were made, but feelings were hurt." -Krystal Washington

Comment

Just let me know when!
            Jan Bennett

Comment

I also have the same question hope you don't mind I jam in.
              how do I connect the 20 pins to 24 pins header? I am using Asus and Celeron 1.8. do I need to connect the 4 pins cable to 4 pins header as well? Thanks

Comment

Just plug the 20pin cable into one end of the 24pin header and see if it works.

Comment

Thanks for reply, can somebody kindly tell me which side I should plug in, left or right from the clip as for the top.

Comment

Originally posted by anchim View Post
                    Thanks for reply, can somebody kindly tell me which side I should plug in, left or right from the clip as for the top.
                    You should only be able to plug it into one side.

If you can plug it into both, something is very wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd2 View Post
                      You should only be able to plug it into one side.

If you can plug it into both, something is very wrong
                      Thanks again, okay, if you look at the socket on mb, the little clip face it upward as for reference, to connect to this socket, do I leave 4 empty pins on left or on the right of the socket. Thanks

Comment

HELP! Newbie here, Can someone tell me if i am doing this wrong? I have the power, switch, and ground hooked up correctly. My motherboard requires me to have the P4 cable installed, when i go and plug my P4 cable into my M2 then into my MB the only thing that moves is my chassie fan and only a little bit back and forth. Kind of like it is out of power! But if I unplug the P4 cable from the MB and turn it back on, the PC now turns on strong! But does not boot. (THIS ALSO HAPPENS ON MY REGULAR ATX POWER SUPPLY WHEN I DON'T HAVE THE P4 PLUGGED INTO THE MB).

Kind a makes me think I am drawing to much power for this little M2 to handel, but the kicker here is, it is 160watts of power and I don't have any other power being used other then my fans, unless my radeon 9600 is using up more power then i would think.

Can someone please help, i can't be the only one with this problem, right?

Thank you Phil from Chicago IL.

Comment

Working...
                        X