Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC shuts on engine crank all of a sudden (M2-ATX)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC shuts on engine crank all of a sudden (M2-ATX)

I've had my Carpc in my '04 Acura TL for about 2 months now and it's always worked flawlessly, I have the jumper set so the PC will stay on for 10 minutes so when I make quick in/out stops somewhere I can just jump back in the car and restart the car and the PC would still be running. It's been working fine up until this week, if I turn the ignition to the ACC position the PC stays on, but once I crank the engine the PC basically shuts off instantly, but then reboots.. Could something have gone wrong with the PS to cause this?

Thanks for any help!
    1991 Camaro Z28
    2004 Acura TL

Originally posted by SLAYER6669 View Post
    I've had my Carpc in my '04 Acura TL for about 2 months now and it's always worked flawlessly, I have the jumper set so the PC will stay on for 10 minutes so when I make quick in/out stops somewhere I can just jump back in the car and restart the car and the PC would still be running. It's been working fine up until this week, if I turn the ignition to the ACC position the PC stays on, but once I crank the engine the PC basically shuts off instantly, but then reboots.. Could something have gone wrong with the PS to cause this?

Thanks for any help!
    I have the same problem with my opus 150 power supply. I use a dry cell battery up front instead of the factory acid-lead battery
    https://www.facebook.com/hinnantdesign1

Comment

Originally posted by SLAYER6669 View Post

Thanks for any help!
      when cranking meter the voltage at the m2 if it dips below the 11 volt shut down voltage it will shut off. I bet that is it. the 11 volt setting is so the m2 shuts off to pervent battery drain when left on.

Comment

Originally posted by 89ragtopgt View Post
        when cranking meter the voltage at the m2 if it dips below the 11 volt shut down voltage it will shut off. I bet that is it. the 11 volt setting is so the m2 shuts off to pervent battery drain when left on.
        does the battery dip below 11v to start the car. I just dont understand. I have a brand new $350 battery. why is it doing it? I use a kieitk hc1400 battery www.kinetikaudio.com/hc1400.asp It the best battery you can buy that has good cranking amps and good amp/hrs. it seems that the cranking of the engine take all the volts to turn the engine over. Is that true
        https://www.facebook.com/hinnantdesign1

Comment

I had the same problem.. then I bought a new battery and the problem went away. Keep in mind, the colder it gets, the less power a battery can provide.
          Christmas Car Project 2008

ArrowDash Skin Worklog

Comment

Well these batteries Acura put in aren't known for their sturdiness.. I plan to upgrade to an optima red or maybe even yellow top eventually.. I had a couple other problems today where the PC was shutting itself off while I'm driving. I took a quick look and the ground connector on the PS was loose and kinda browned.. The M2 seems to be surviving the crank now so I'll see how long that lasts.. In the mean time I'm going to replace the burnt connector. Thanks!
            1991 Camaro Z28
            2004 Acura TL

Comment

Originally posted by customaudioman View Post
              does the battery dip below 11v to start the car. I just dont understand. I have a brand new $350 battery. why is it doing it? I use a kieitk hc1400 battery www.kinetikaudio.com/hc1400.asp It the best battery you can buy that has good cranking amps and good amp/hrs. it seems that the cranking of the engine take all the volts to turn the engine over. Is that true
              one thing you can do is install a small lead acid battery with a diode/resistor to isolate it from the car. when you crank the car over the small lead acid will keep the voltage up at the puter and then after crank the car will supply power like normal and charge the battery. someone does make a small aftermarket one like this as well

Comment

Originally posted by 89ragtopgt View Post
                one thing you can do is install a small lead acid battery with a diode/resistor to isolate it from the car. when you crank the car over the small lead acid will keep the voltage up at the puter and then after crank the car will supply power like normal and charge the battery. someone does make a small aftermarket one like this as well
                Would a small motorcycle battery work for this?

I'm planning on putting a carpc, probably the Voom2 package, into my truck. I drive an 18-wheeler. The truck pretty much runs constantly. I only shut it down when I have to. Also, I can't do anything permanent as far as cutting/adding to the electrical system, but I have access to a lot of 12v lighter ports. The problem is that they shut down during cranking.

My plan was to connect it all through one of the ports.

cig lighter port ----> small battery ----> power for the carpc

As far as the Diode/Resister - I have no clue how to do that. Can you post a pic or drawing of it?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: One last question using this setup:

If I put a toggle switch between the vehicle power and the diode/small battery, if I turn the power off (from the vehicle), when the power drops in the small battery, will the computer do a hard shutdown, or will it just power off?

Also, when turning the power back on, it should, in theory, supply full power back to the small battery and turning the system back on. Am I correct in thinking this?

Comment

i thought the m2atx should actualy keep your computer running all the way down to 6 volts? i think thats what it said on the box anyway.

Comment

cant you use those large capacitors? to keep the power going? i forget but those for the amp systems or something like that... those would be far better solution then a bulky battery? as you only need the sustained power for the short crank duration, which a capacitor is more then capable of doing...

Comment

me too, im experiencing this sudden shutdown during cranking. i'm using m2-atx. this sometimes happens when i have to turn off the car during fuel refill, it's actually on acc not in off position so that my computer is still running. then when i crank the pc reboots.

i thought the m2-atx can survive engine cranking up to 6 volts. i also have a 1farad capacitor connected to the audio system.

Comment

Originally posted by jet_civic View Post
                        me too, im experiencing this sudden shutdown during cranking. i'm using m2-atx. this sometimes happens when i have to turn off the car during fuel refill, it's actually on acc not in off position so that my computer is still running. then when i crank the pc reboots.

i thought the m2-atx can survive engine cranking up to 6 volts. i also have a 1farad capacitor connected to the audio system.
                        You just described my situation perfectly except I don't have a capacitor. And like the original poster said, everything was fine for me until a ~4 months after installed the M2.

It's strange, and I thought I was the only one with this problem or I thought it was just my set up/battery.

Comment

where do you have your carputer plugged in at? I used to have mine plugged into the cigarette lighter, and it shutdown when the car cranked. This is because it is too close to the engine. I hooked my carputer up to my cap for my amps and now the van can start and my puter won't shutdown.
                          My Worklog
                          I'm using my carputer 100%, but I still need to make it easier to use.

Comment

Looks like in my case it was as simple as a loose ground wire, once I pressed the ground wire back on the PS connector everything has been fine since. Moral of the story, I'll check simple connections before posting Also my M2-ATX is connected directly to the battery itself. I've never had any problems with the PC rebooting on crank until that ground wire came loose.
                            1991 Camaro Z28
                            2004 Acura TL

Comment

i have talked at some retail places with other audio/carPC guys and they all say that good ground and wiring is a key at getting rid of noise... which is why im trying to go with 4awg wiring also for upgrade reasons when getting a new amp system, which dont plan on anything fancy just better then stock

Comment

Working...
                              X