No announcement yet.

Dc/Dc - Ac/Dc?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dc/Dc - Ac/Dc?

Ok, i've just read a lot of threads and found out the using a dc/dc psu is better than an ac/dc. The problem is that I was thinking about making an easily removable case, smallest possible, which then I could remove from the car and hook it up to my lan. I think i'm going to ask a preety stupid question, but how am I supposed to power it once it's inside my room? If I were using a standard psu I would just plug it in through a normal cable. Is there an adapter for such psu?

You can either use a DC-DC supply, and then use a 12v wall adapter inside your house, which would work.

Or, you can set it up so its easy to unplug the DC-DC adapter and connect a regular power supply.

I dont know exactly what you would need for a 12v adapter, to power the DC-DC from 120VAC, but i dont think its too hard.
    Project AutoBoxen: Coming along, almost ready to hook up in the car.
    Celeron 500, 192mb ram, 8gb hdd, other stuff.
    '91 Mazda 626: Its free, so ill use it.

I use an adapter built from a car battery charger transformer. See my site (link below) for pictures.

Old Systems retired due to new car
      New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

for 110VAC to 12Vdc you can use an UPS battery or you can pick up a 12V DC PS that witth plug with into the wall. YOu wil need to know how many amps you draw though.
        90% Done
        60W DC-DC & shutdown controller
        Via C3 800, 512mb Ram, HDD 75GB IBM Deskstar, 5.6" In dash Dcustoms LCD w/ 3m USB Touch setup
        Rockfors 400s 400W amp,2x 10" Rockford Subs, Sony CDX M730 Head unit
        All in a shiny White 2000 V6 Mustang
        Click here to visit my NEW PhotoAlbum