compatibility question in a search for help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compatibility question in a search for help

I recently aquired a Asus-M2-MX-SE Plus motherboard, with a AMD 3500, and 512 ram. I am going to use a 2.5 inch laptop harddrive, and a slimline cd drive. I am just looking what I will need to power it properly.

I was looking at the PW-200-M. It looks like it can handle the Wattage, but I just want to make sure. As this is my first type biulding a system this customized.

1. First the board has a 24 pin connector and the power supply has a 20 pin connect, can I simply by the adapter to power this still or do I even need too? If I do not need too, at waht position do I place the 20 pins connect to the 24 pin connection.

2. Is this going to for sure put out enough wattage to power everything?

3. What power adapter should I use for this power supply, the bricks I see on mini-box.com all show lower wattage ratings so it slightly confusing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Deamoner

FAQs are your friend: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advfaq.php

Specifically, these FAQs should help you with your specific question:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advf...iew&advfaqid=3
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advf...iew&advfaqid=6
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

i am informed just making sure

You misunderstand, I am not asking you to pick the PSU for me, I have read all those, and I am confirming my findings.

I reasearched the wattage ratings as follows:

2.5 inch harddrive - 5 watts
      slimline cd drive - 5 watts
      usb, i want to do at peak 3 usb devices and i read they are estiamted at 5 watts each
      - 15 watts total
      processor - 65 watts
      memory 512 ram - 10 watts max
      motherboard - 30 watts - not sure about this, could not find specifics
      keyboard and mouse - 6 watts
      cpu fan - 5 watts
      Total Wattage: 141 watts

1. my question is if someone could confirm my work, to make sure I have the right idea and my work is right as I do not want to wreck my equipment.

2. my second question is if i can power my motherboard and such with the PW-200, can I connect the 20 pin from the PSU to my 24 pin on the power supply, if so do i need the adapter, and if i don't where do I position the connector on the 24 pins.

Comment

Originally posted by Deamoner View Post
        I recently aquired a Asus-M2-MX-SE Plus motherboard, with a AMD 3500, and 512 ram. I am going to use a 2.5 inch laptop harddrive, and a slimline cd drive. I am just looking what I will need to power it properly.

I was looking at the PW-200-M. It looks like it can handle the Wattage, but I just want to make sure. As this is my first type biulding a system this customized.
        I wouldn't recommend the PW200M.

1. First the board has a 24 pin connector and the power supply has a 20 pin connect, can I simply by the adapter to power this still or do I even need too? If I do not need too, at waht position do I place the 20 pins connect to the 24 pin connection.
        You get a 20-24pin ATX power adapter.

2. Is this going to for sure put out enough wattage to power everything?
        Not for sure, no.

3. What power adapter should I use for this power supply, the bricks I see on mini-box.com all show lower wattage ratings so it slightly confusing.
        I suggest checking out the FAQs here, particularly the ones regarding power supplies:
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advfaq.php
        How about the Wiki?

Comment

Ok stop telling me to read the power supply FAQ, I have read them all. Now why wouldn't you recommend the pw-200? I am looking for small form factor and I am actually going to be powering this indoors at the moment so power flutuations are not as important, but am open to any power supply other then that that works.

And if you wouldn't suggest that one, I looked at 320W DC-DC ATX/BTX, but it is too big, if it is the watts that is the problem let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Deamoner View Post
            Ok stop telling me to read the power supply FAQ, I have read them all. Now why wouldn't you recommend the pw-200? I am looking for small form factor and I am actually going to be powering this indoors at the moment so power flutuations are not as important, but am open to any power supply other then that that works.
            If you read the Power Supply FAQs, it explains in detail why the PW200M is not recommended.
            They will also give you pointers on how to determine what PSU is right for your needs. I apologize for linking you twice. I was at work and got distracted, forgetting what I had posted previously.

And if you wouldn't suggest that one, I looked at 320W DC-DC ATX/BTX, but it is too big, if it is the watts that is the problem let me know.
            Too big? As in physically too large?
            Or too much output? FYI: A PSU that has more output capacity than you need is not harmful in any way.
            How about the Wiki?

Comment

I mean as in it is physically too large. I read about why the pw-200 is not suggested, which from what I understand is because the power is not regulated. But if i am understanding that right, I am using the unit in doors and will be using a ac/dc brick to convert the power and therefore the power should not fluctuate as much. So should I be able to use this adapter?

Comment

What is the output of your power brick that puts out 12v?

If that power brick will output enough amperage to supply your PC, then yes, it should work.

If you're going to use this indoors, why wouldn't you use a standard-issue ATX power supply?

It seems to me that you are going about this the hard way...
                How about the Wiki?

Comment

Ok basically I am doing a very specific case for my PC that has space restrictions. If I estimate that I need 200 watts at max from the pw-200, then I should need about 17 amps output from my power brick right.

Sorry to post on this site about my non-car pc, but the space restriction is simular to that I need.

Ok so just looking I do not think I will find a power brick for 16 amps lol. But the largest I found on mini-box was 8.5 amps, which is a total of 102 watts output, which like I said before my requirement is around 141 watts. I just need something small and it does not seem that I can find something small enough with enough power.

Comment

Working...
                  X