Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power supply or inverter for dell xps pc?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supply or inverter for dell xps pc?

DarquePervert, thanks very much for the reply and information. To answer your question: I have the dell, I would of course like to have a very well powered true mobile computer. guess for now I must use the dell.

Johnnie

Power supply or inverter for dell xps pc?

Please advise the best method to power a dell xps pc in a vehicle, use a inverter or a 12v to power supply?

Thanks Johnnie

Comment

It would help to know what model of PC you're talking about: laptop or desktop.
      And DC-DC is ALWAYS preferrable to an inverter, assuming there is a DC-DC unit that will work with your hardware.

Dell XPS are power machines, though. Not the best choice for a vehicle installation.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

DarquePervert, the dell I have is a desktop pc, can you recommend a power supply to run the computer from 12 volts.

Thanks Johnnie

Comment

Originally posted by k1hog View Post
          DarquePervert, the dell I have is a desktop pc, can you recommend a power supply to run the computer from 12 volts.

Thanks Johnnie
          sorry to steal this one from your Darque...

If you plan on having a car PSU in your case, you will need one that allows enough power on each rail to power your whole system unless you want to underclock something...especially your video card since that one piece is the main contributor to the high power reqs.

Opus makes a 320W PSU, and i havent looked in a while, but they may make one larger by now.

The 12V AC/DC converter will work, and it will work great if the power requirements are met for your PSU in your case (ie. a 350W converter will not work for a 750W PSU even if you only use 400W of it).
          Trouble deciding on car speakers? Clicky Clicky
          Speakers: DLS Ultimate Iridium 6.3 Link
          Subwoofer: removed
          Amplifier#1 (Front Stage): DLS Ultimate A4
          Amplifier#2 (Sub) removed
          Carputer: Removed for tablet install

Comment

I confused, should I get an inverter, if so what wattage, or should I get a dc to dc power supply, if so what wattage?

Thanks Johnnie

Comment

Get a DC-DC converter of the same or higher wattage as you current XPS power supply. Pay attention to match or better the individual rail amperage.

Comment

Fist of all, if you want to consider a DC-DC PSU, you need to determine two things:
                1 - Is that Dell motherboard TRULY ATX compliant? Dell has this nasty habit of doing their own thing without regard to any industry standards.
                2 - Is there a DC-DC power supply that has enough output voltage to power that Dell PC. As someone stated, check the rating on the existing power supply.

If you can't meet 1 & 2 above, then you need an inverter. The rule of thumb is to get an inverter rated for 1.5-2 times the output rating of your PC's power supply.
                Inverters tend to suck, though...
                They are big, generate heat and are likely to induce RFI noise into your audio system.

Again...
                Dell's XPS line tend to be gaming-oriented, meaning powerful PCs. POwerful PCs tend to draw more electricity, which isn't a good thing in a vehicle environment.
                So again, I'll ask: Why do you feel the need/want to use that particular Dell XPS model in your ride?

I don't think it's the wisest choice, but you may have some reason that you're not hitting us with.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
                X