This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2-ATX(-HV) 160 watt Intelligent DC-DC PSU

This thread will serve to post all relative information for the M2-ATX 160 watt Intelligent DC-DC PSU or the M2-ATX-HV 160 watt Intelligent DC-DC PSU.

This thread is not to be used for troubleshooting, but rather for FAQ type responses.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

I think we can include here that the J8 pins HAVE A POLARITY. Plugging the connector in backwards (50% chance!) can cause the M2-ATX to malfunction and be damaged! The board's manual says to check the polarity of the connections carefully, but many of us didn't think a simple switch had a polarity! (We're wrong because it's not a simple switch). Seems this has caused at least half a dozen board failures already, most recently summarized here:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...-problems.html
    Elantra GT 1.2GHz Duron, RoadRunner & LSX Void 3.2. Status: Stable...

Comment

Are you sure that is correct? It doesnt say anything in the manual that J8 has polarity.
      "The M2-ATX board has several wires that need to be installed in various places.
      When installing, always double check the polarity of your wires with a voltmeter."

I always though that statement applied to things such as power or ignition wires. I blindly connected my power supply without regards to polarity and everything has been working for a few days. Which way is it +/- on the M2-ATX? On the EPIA M10000 mainboard, it actually gives the polarity of the power switch.

Comment

Which pin is which on J8?

Someone should link to that resistor swap that that guy did (can't find the thread right now)
        2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR In-Dash PC Project - WIP

Planning:
        [----------] 100%
        Purchasing:
        [----------] 90%
        Installation/Fab/Assembly (Revised v2):
        [----------] 90%

Comment

I just compared the specifications listed on the manuals for the M2-ATX and M1-ATX. Perhaps your theory on the polarization of J8 only applies to the M1-ATX? If you look on the specs table for the M1-ATX, the very last row says that J2, J4, J8, J6 are "Polarized Headers." However, on the specs table for the M2-ATX, this row has been removed. Maybe they redesigned the on/off header switch for the M2-ATX?

Comment

i dunno if this is true or not but it would completely explain why my last one died when connected correctly.

and for my FAQ contribution here is the timing chart listing all available times (more than the listed times in the instructions)

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/atta...mperchart2.pdf
            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Why was I told (in another thread) that these power supplies came with the 4-pin, square mainboard aux. power plug? (See image)
              Product info says nothing of this....
              Can it be spliced in? Anyone know the pin-outs? Is there a female plug onboard that supports this plug layout?

And what is the difference between the two M2's, the base and the HV model? Can't find any documentation on that either!

Comment

Mine didnt come with the 4 pin plug..I think it is an addon that you buy separate. You can slice into it if you need +12 for some reason. Yellow is +12v, black is ground. You can just make the part yourself if you have the connector head.

I dont know why the HV version is cheaper than the normal version. The only difference seems to be that the HV accepts up to 32v input, whereas the normal version accepts 24.

Comment

My M2-ATX does indeed have that 4pin P4 style connector in addition to the normal ATX 20pin.
                  2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR In-Dash PC Project - WIP

Planning:
                  [----------] 100%
                  Purchasing:
                  [----------] 90%
                  Installation/Fab/Assembly (Revised v2):
                  [----------] 90%

Comment

Originally posted by cobase View Post
                    I think we can include here that the J8 pins HAVE A POLARITY. Plugging the connector in backwards (50% chance!) can cause the M2-ATX to malfunction and be damaged! The board's manual says to check the polarity of the connections carefully, but many of us didn't think a simple switch had a polarity! (We're wrong because it's not a simple switch). Seems this has caused at least half a dozen board failures already, most recently summarized here:
                    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...-problems.html
                    Can someone confirm this?

Comment

"board failures" what?!?!?!? and I'm about to connect mine to the "real world"

[-------------] Hardware Status
                      [-------------] Software Status
                      [-------------] Fabrication Status

Comment

No Problems whatsoever with mine in the real world hookup!
                        Also, I have the 4Pin 12V+ header on mine for the P4/PCI-X Power connections.
                        I am fixint to hook up my Lilliput to the P/S, as well.
                        The Polarity issues are "NOT AN ISSUE" as they have been re-programmed/fixed to compensate for plugging the mobo/case switch in backwards, it just functions like the power switch on the PC usually did, " Did not work"
                        -=- TruckPC Progress -=- 98% Complete -=-
                        -=- 2006 Ford F-150 Screw 4x4 -=-
                        @@@@@@@@@@ <-- Planning Phase
                        @@@@@@@@@@ <-- Purchasing (Never End)
                        @@@@@@@@@@ <-- Construction Phase
                        @@@@@@@@@@ <-- Installation Phase
                        My TruckPC WorkLog @ MP3Car.com

Comment

&quot;Hidden&quot; Shutdown Controller (SDC) Operation Modes

Found out from the lead engineer at mini-box.com that there are more SDC jumper settings than are listed in the manual. Here's the full list:

ABCD OFFDELAY / HARDOFF
                          0000 standard PSU
                          1000 5 seconds / 1 minute
                          0100 5 seconds / 2 hours
                          1100 5 seconds / never
                          0010 30 seconds / 2 hours
                          1010 30 seconds / never
                          0110 30 minutes / never
                          1110 3 hours / never
                          0001 10 minutes / 1 hour
                          1001 15 minutes / 2 hours
                          0101 1 hour / 1 hour 15 minutes
                          1101 5 seconds / 2 hours (SureStop)

Enjoy!

CarPC v2.5 up and running - all hardware installed, skin configured, and iG tweaked like crazy. Now for OBD-II, and voice control, and camera plugin, and... :nutz: - it never ends!

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
                            This thread is not to be used for troubleshooting, but rather for FAQ type responses.
                            So given this, then I hope I am posting this question to the proper thread as I feel this is a "FAQ type item"

Is the IGN feed wire (the center yellow wire of the main 3 inputs) simply a discreet 12 volt sense input to the boards logic or is there actually a substantial current flow on this wire? I am asking for obvious reasons like can I get by with using an 18 gauge wire as opposed to that huge wire that comes in the kit and also so I know I can connect it to any source without worry of overloading a circuit?

sorry to ask what should be a needless question but I find very little useful info on this PSU, it comes with absolutely no documentation, and the online manual is sparse at best.

Thanks

Comment

Just tried it tonight... looks like the M2-Atx can also run the rogers portable internet modem off the 12V rail.. I just cut into the floppy line and wired up the modem and voila..

Shame my motherboard isn't compatible.. :-(.. just draining off the 5V rail....won't boot often...

Comment

Working...
                              X