Using serial port for shutdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using serial port for shutdown

I am thinking of using the serial port to sense the ACC off and then turn the computer off, something that's used for UPS, as implemented for APC UPS in XP SP2 in power settings. So the scenario would be the power is on, when the key is removed, the signal on the serial port changes (one of the pins, that is), which computer interprets as request for shutdown or hibernation. If the computer gets stuck and does not shut itself off then the additional hardware (relays, capacitors and the like) shuts the power, ie pulls the plug. The advantage of this is that there's a chance for computer to exit graciously before its whacked by pulling the plug. If it is not gracious, then it gets whacked. Maybe then it learns, don't we all learn when whacked?

My question is this: is there a software that would look at the serial port and has the functionality to shut the computer off, or somebody solved it similarly (ie software). APC UPS software communicates with the UPS using modem protocol, so it is not simple to adapt for my purpose.

Search is your friend. Use it.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...-software.html

Links to the software in that thread are now dead, but should give you a good starting point.
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

The software listed in that thread can now be purchased here:

http://carpc.kyferez.com/Products/products.php?id=20
      Tidder

Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

If you're using Windows, there's something in the UPS options that'll let you do it. I did this about 4 years ago but decided not to go with it. Can't remember which pin but you have to run a constant 5V into it so I tapped it into a +5 from the PS and the shutdown sequence begins when you disconnect it from the serial port. Simple and effective but didn't suite my needs.

Comment

In XP select 'generic' > 'Custom' UPS. You can then select to have it shutdown on 5v or 0v
          Use pin 8 on the comport.
          Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback View Post
            In XP select 'generic' > 'Custom' UPS. You can then select to have it shutdown on 5v or 0v
            Use pin 8 on the comport.
            does it have to be pulsed like a mobo switch? or can it be constant without doing a hard shutoff?
            Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

Originally posted by Injector View Post
              does it have to be pulsed like a mobo switch? or can it be constant without doing a hard shutoff?
              Constant

I have the ACC connected directly to pin 8 and generic ups switched on per laidback's post.

When the os is loading the UPS monitor is ignored.

Once the UPS service is started the port is monitored and looks for a drop in voltage. When the ACC drops significantly ( don't know how much ) it will begin the shut down. You can configure it to post a message, good for setup.

Note : starting the engine can drop ACC enough to trigger ups shutdown. An improvement would be to drive a relay with ACC and provide regulated 5 or 12 volts from your PSU.

Comment

Question ?

Ok I hate resurrect dead post but can someone explain to me in a little more detail on how to fool Windows/UPS Service via the vehicle ACC. What I am looking for in specific is where to appl the voltage on the comport and where to apply the gound.

Thank You

Leo

Comment

Working...
                X