Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2-ATX Wiring

Hi guys,

I know there are lots of threads regarding this topic but I just cant get my brain around it. Well I think I have but just wanted to confirm

I have a 4GA power wire running from the battery to a fused dist. block. I am planning to go 8GA from the dist. block to the M2-ATX.

Question 1: Is it ok to run 8GA to the M2-ATX? I assume so? I mean I know that this gauge can carry more amps than required but the PSU will only draw what is needed right? The reason for using 8GA is purely cosmetic and I have left over from my amp install.

I am planning to put a 20A fuse into the dist. block on the circuit running the carPC.

Question 2: Is that ok? I mean I know the M2-ATX is fused and understand that the fuse in the dist. block is to protect the wire.

Question 3: Can I run a larger fuse with this gauge? say 60A?

I am thinking all is fine with what I am planning to do but just wanted to get some feedback from you super intelligent guys and gals

My apologies if these are questions of the noobie but that is what I am

Thanks in advance!

Maz

Originally posted by mr_wankel View Post
    Question 1: Is it ok to run 8GA to the M2-ATX? I assume so? I mean I know that this gauge can carry more amps than required but the PSU will only draw what is needed right? The reason for using 8GA is purely cosmetic and I have left over from my amp install.
    8awg is fine. And your logic is correct.

I am planning to put a 20A fuse into the dist. block on the circuit running the carPC.
    Smart move!

Question 2: Is that ok? I mean I know the M2-ATX is fused and understand that the fuse in the dist. block is to protect the wire.
    See above.

Question 3: Can I run a larger fuse with this gauge? say 60A?
    You want the fuse rating to be between the max amount of current draw for the device and the maximum amount of current he wire can handle.
    If you were to use a fuse rated at less than the device(s) draw, then the fuse will constantly blow.
    If you were to use a fuse that is rated higher than the max amout the wire can handle, then the fuse offers no protection.
    Personally, I would use a fuse that is closer to the max draw of the devices. My logic behind that is thus:
    If there is a short and the fuse on the device doesn't work properly, then the lower-rated fuse will afford me some measure of protection for thse device(s), even though that fuse is to protect the wiring.

According to the wire gauge chart here, the max power draw of 8awg wire is 52A. So a fuse rated at 60A affords you protection only if the power draw exceeds the limit of the cable by 8A. If 55A shoots through the wire, it would likely overheat and cause problems, but the fuse would never blow.
    Then you'd be the subject of 2k1Toaster's drawing.
    We don't want that.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Thanks mate!

Finished up a lot of the wiring yesterday hopefully will power everything up tonight last missing piece is the IGN wire, but that is more a nuisance and a hindrance.

Thanks again for your help.

Maz

Comment

Working...
      X