Missing Ignition Wire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Ignition Wire

Hi, I've been through this site looking for some details on wiring up my M3ATX to an ignition wire. I currently have a 2001 Pontiac Aztek, with a factory radio with a 24-pin harness connector and a 12-pin AUX connector. It seems that from wiring diagrams that this Aztek has no ignition wire going to Pin 14 on the harness, as there is some other method of turning on the radio.

I need to find a method connecting to an ignition or accessory wire. I've read on this site about connecting to a fuse location.

I'm really looking for any low risk methods connecting to the ignition, as I'm not really an electrician or a mechanic.

Ideas or help?

Kevin
    Epia Nano ITX N10000E, Morex 1677 Case, 1024MB RAM, TSST Slim DVD/CD-RW, 60GB Fujitsu Notebook HDD, Win XP Home/Mandriva 2008 Dual Boot

Well if your cig lighter only comes on when you have it in ignition, you can tap into that.

Comment

There has to be an ignition wire running to the radio or else it would always stay on whether the ignition was on or not. I'd look at those diagrams again.
      Christmas Car Project 2008

ArrowDash Skin Worklog

Comment

Buy a test pen about $2 and search for a fat wire on your car wiring harness and try to turn ignition on and off with the test pen

Comment

Buy a test pen it's about $2 and look for a fat wire on your wire harness and poke the wires with a test pen and try turning on and off your ignition to check which wire is the ignition.

Comment

Arrow,
            Thanks for the reply. With this GM radio it has a 12V Constant on pin 13, and it uses the OG Data Line on pin #1 to turn on an off the radio, which is part of the cars computer. I've read many places not to mess with the OG Data line. I assume if I use the 12V constant, that the PC will never turn off. Am I wrong?
            Epia Nano ITX N10000E, Morex 1677 Case, 1024MB RAM, TSST Slim DVD/CD-RW, 60GB Fujitsu Notebook HDD, Win XP Home/Mandriva 2008 Dual Boot

Comment

Oh I see. Then you're gonna have to do some poking around to find a switched line somewhere.
              Christmas Car Project 2008

ArrowDash Skin Worklog

Comment

Start at your fuse box. A significant number of fused items are switched by the ignition, usually in front of the fuses. You can use a fuse tap kit (available from auto supply stores for a couple of bucks.)
                ~Jimmy

Comment

^^ What he said. I use a Fuse Tap ($6 at auto parts store) that adds a lead to the Cig.Lighter fuse. That one is switched with ACC in my car.
                  Elantra GT 1.2GHz Duron, RoadRunner & LSX Void 3.2. Status: Stable...

Comment

Fuse tap kit, eh...

I guess I will stop by Pep Boys on the way home and look for both the test light and the fuse tap kit.

I have checked and all of my cigarette lighter ports are always powered. Similarly, all of the wires behind the dash board are all nicely wrapped and tied away. With my current luck, I'd likely cut open the wiring I need to operate the car and then kill myself.

I will obviously look for a fuse location that is empty for a connection, but if I can't, I suppose one of the less risky locations would be to tap into the power windows or maybe the radio, but I'm unsure about the latter due to my comments in the first post. I will test my power mirrors first. I can always live with moving my mirrors by hand if I screw something up.

Comment

Originally posted by fossks View Post
                      I guess I will stop by Pep Boys on the way home and look for both the test light and the fuse tap kit.

I have checked and all of my cigarette lighter ports are always powered. Similarly, all of the wires behind the dash board are all nicely wrapped and tied away. With my current luck, I'd likely cut open the wiring I need to operate the car and then kill myself.

I will obviously look for a fuse location that is empty for a connection, but if I can't, I suppose one of the less risky locations would be to tap into the power windows or maybe the radio, but I'm unsure about the latter due to my comments in the first post. I will test my power mirrors first. I can always live with moving my mirrors by hand if I screw something up.
                      Get your test light (or multimeter set on DC volts) and test the radio fuse with the key off and then on. You will probably find that it is only powered when the key is on. Then pull the fuse out. With the key on, see which side of the fuse holder is still hot. That is the side you want to tap into. Your fuse tap will have its own fuse separate from the one you are piggybacking. It doesn't really matter which fuse you tap if you do it this way because the two circuits remain separately protected.
                      ~Jimmy

Comment

JimmyFitz,
                        Thanks, I've gotten one from PepBoys. My question is that on the package it talks about no accessory more than 10 AMPS. Can I put it in place of a more than 10 AMPS spot such as the wipers which is 25AMPS, and it's just the system that I'm connecting that has to be less than 10 AMPS?

What AMP fuse should I put into the ignition connection side of this device for the M3-ATX?

Comment

Originally posted by fossks View Post
                          JimmyFitz,
                          Thanks, I've gotten one from PepBoys. My question is that on the package it talks about no accessory more than 10 AMPS. Can I put it in place of a more than 10 AMPS spot such as the wipers which is 25AMPS, and it's just the system that I'm connecting that has to be less than 10 AMPS?

What AMP fuse should I put into the ignition connection side of this device for the M3-ATX?
                          You can piggyback to any fuse you want, as long as you go on the upstream side of it you will keep the new and old circuits separate. For the ignition input, being just a signal, it can have any small size fuse. 10 amps or less would be fine if that is what they rate the tap for. One amp would likely work fine as well.
                          ~Jimmy

Comment

All,
                            Thanks for all your answers thus far. I had all the wiring installed and put my Nano ITX temporarily on the front floor and started it up by the ignition and shut it off the same. It's comforting when all of the work pays off.
                            Now the next step is to work on the system configuration with details such as USB connections, Wifi, Bluetooth, media frontend, etc.

Comment

So what fuse did you eventually tap into (just out of curiousity)?

.....sort of have the same problem myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X