car adapter for laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car adapter for laptop

Hi guys, id like to know if connecting a car laptop adapter directly to a power line in the car would work...in other words i would not plug it into the cig lighter, instead cut off the end and connect it directly.

id like to do this to avoid plugging anyting in the cig lighter

Not going to work, transient voltages and other nasties will ruin the laptop. Added to that it probably requires more than the ~12v your car will probably supply. Pick up a cheap adaptor on eBay and hard wire it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shad0wca7 View Post
      Not going to work, transient voltages and other nasties will ruin the laptop. Added to that it probably requires more than the ~12v your car will probably supply. Pick up a cheap adaptor on eBay and hard wire it.
      Uh...I think that is what he's saying. If I read the OP correctly, he wants to use an automotive laptop brick and just slice off the cig adapter then hardwire it to pos and neg. Just make sure you are careful with polarity!

ShadOwca7 is correct, e-bay is great for those things.

I have run my system like that since installed, no problems. The brick converts the 12v supply to the 18-19v your laptop wants, and I believe the output is regulated. It is on mine at least. So, even if the car is pumping out 12-14v, the brick handles it and sends out a clean 18v or 19v or wharever.

Good luck!
      Working on - 2006 Cadillac Escalade with all the TOYS!

COMPLETE! - 2002 Cadillac DTS - Summer 2008 - SOLD SUMMER 2010

COMPLETE! - 1998 Cadillac Deville Concours - Summer 2007 - SOLD SUMMER 2008

Comment

I've done the same thing before also.

Cheers
        For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
        Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Yes, what you have described will work just fine if you're using the laptop's automotive brick. I've been running mine for over 8 years and no problems. Grounding is crucial! CPU/HD Noise may find its way into your audio otherwise.
          HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

great, so thats what ill do thanks for all the info

Comment

Working...
            X