M2-ATX for auxiliary power supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2-ATX for auxiliary power supply

OK, I have got an extra M2-ATX sitting around and considering using it to supply 12V and 5V in the front of the car(puter in the trunk area) to power my screen, dvd/cd-rw usb drive and a usb powered hub - done some searching and just wanna make sure I got it right

Normal power connection to M2-ATX(12V battery, 12V ignition, and ground) then connect pin 14 from the ATX plug to ground, pin 10 for 12V +, pin 15 for 12V -(ground), pin 19 5V +, and pin 15 5V-(ground)

Now does it matter supply wise if I use only pin 19 to supply 5V+ to both the usb drive and hub or would it be better use pin 19 for the drive and 20 for the hub???

TIA
    Rick
    If anyone gives me a rev - I give them the Bird

Watch out, the ground of +12V is NOT -12V. That would actually be a voltage difference of 24V. Likewise, +5V to -5V would be a 10V difference. Ground of this power supply is earth (0V), so connect your grounds to those pins. As for the hub and drive, they probably use very little current compared to the max output of that pin, so you could probably connect those both to that one pin.

Comment

Thanks, do not think the 15 pin is -12V, I should have made that a little clearer in my post - now thinking I will use pin 17 as the 5V ground and 15 as 12V ground

Seen another post mentioning grounding pin 13 to 14, will I lose the startup/shutdown timings by doing that??

Dont really want to run a wire to hook pin 14 from the front to the puters pin 14, but then again I am getting ready to cover all of the cheap gm plastic(door panels have the infamous firebird cracks starting)................ gonna have to consider that if the grounding of 14 causes it to lost startup/shutdown capabilities

Comment

If you take all of the jumpers off of the M2 ATX and ground pin 13 to pin 14, the M2 ATX will always be on. You might want to consider having your computer, or whatever is doing the startup/shutdown control switching a relay between pins 13 and 14. That way, when your computer comes on, the power supply for your screen and USB devices will come on as well.

Comment

If you use a second battery to power your m2 it will work.

I have an m2 as a standby on a second battery. But you need to connect the green with a black wire (J7), so the m2 thinks there is a mobo attached that wants power (a litle wire on the m2 will do this).
          In this way you could even use the jumpers and have it turn on / off by a switched wire.
          Cold weather mobo list: Copy the list and add your board
          my hidden screen in action (youtube) , the worklog , RR Volvoskin

Comment

Thanks rijk - gonna give that I try, just what I was hoping to do............

Comment

The left is standard m2, the right one has the wire (pencel points towards it).

one thing to think about, the power is switched off at hardoff, not at soft off so jumper on position 1 is probebly what you want (hard off 45 sec).

Comment

I'm about to do the same with an extra M2, but I don't understand something. If you are just going to run a hub, monitor, etc. with the extra M2, why couldn't you just short the 13 and 14 pin, then hook both main and ignition to the ignition only and accomplish the same things as a relay? Or might this cause issues during startup? Not sure I understand the reason for the "always hot" wire if it's not actually running a PC. Am I missing something?
                My opinion is my own.

Comment

Relay? Thats not part of my solution

Wel the problem is when you lose power to your hub, or other powerd usb-device while the mobo is not jet switched off, you can lose a couple of usb-devices. You also want the power on, when the mobo starts (usb). And yes, during start up you wil lose the power on your second m2.

My mobo is also wired to the remot of the alarm, so you wnat it to power on then. My experience is that the m2 only checks the power when starting up with jumper (installed) without the jumper no check. Mij dsx keeps checking the battery, so that one is hooked up to the main battery. The m2 witch i don't trust 100% is hooked up to the second battery.

Comment

Still not sure it wouldn't work. I will be driving a d-link 7 port powered hub (type B usb, not that mini plug), but it is also non-powered (short distance, low power). The things it will be driving are the touchscreen usb (maybe), an Imon ultrabay, HD radio serial converted to usb, andrea mic, obdii, dvd (#1), and an external usb port that is normally "open". The M2 will be driving the hub, imon ultrabay, hd radio, and dvd.

After the computer starts (something like 3-4 seconds from S3 standby), the usb ports would become active and require greater power. But when the computer goes into standby and during standby, wouldn't the self powered part of the d-link be enough to maintain USB integrity since no data transfer or power draw is occuring?

What I am trying to do is separate the computer into 2 groups. The first group would be the computer itself, along with video, dvd (#2), sound, xm, wireless, bluetooth, gps, scanner, and amplifier control. The second group would be everything mentioned up front. Then a single gold plated 6' USB to connect the front to the back to put it all together.

Since the new computer will have 2 serial ports built in (first serial is used for amp control), the hd radio might move to group 1.
                    My opinion is my own.

Comment

By connecting the usb, you alrady make contact between the two powersupply's
                      (my screen moved while there was no power on the powersupply). The power came frome the second cable of the usb hub, witch was fed by that powersupply.

can't answer the usb standby, haven't tride that.

But your problem remains, that by switching it with the ignition and a relay you take away the power before the mobo is switched of, or gone into hibernate. You need to delay the switch off.

Comment

Originally posted by rijk View Post
                        By connecting the usb, you alrady make contact between the two powersupply's
                        (my screen moved while there was no power on the powersupply). The power came frome the second cable of the usb hub, witch was fed by that powersupply.

can't answer the usb standby, haven't tride that.

But your problem remains, that by switching it with the ignition and a relay you take away the power before the mobo is switched of, or gone into hibernate. You need to delay the switch off.
                        I'm not planning a relay either. That was someone else suggestion above. I'm just looking for an easy way to just give power to a few components. Since they need 5 and 12, the second m2 seemed the logical choice (probably major overkill).

Right on the USB hub. It would still be on the computers 5V rail (through the usb cable), which was what I was saying. during bootup or coming out of hibernate (or even in standby), the hub would be receiving voltage from the 5V rail of the computer. Everything might even work like this. However, the second M2, from what I am seeing, would be in parallel with the first, and once everything was up and running, would add needed current to the devices up front taking way the need for the computer supply to "overwork" itself.

I think this is going to be a trial and error type thing. Not like it's going to hurt anything to try it both ways.
                        My opinion is my own.

Comment

I just ran a wire between pins 13 and 14 and left the jumpers on and it is working good. No doubt that it is major overkill

Do not want it to have the possibility of losing power when I shut the car off and to acc. so battery connection is there.

Now looking for a usb hub that will look decent

Comment

Originally posted by Rick99TAWS6 View Post
                            I just ran a wire between pins 13 and 14 and left the jumpers on and it is working good. No doubt that it is major overkill

Do not want it to have the possibility of losing power when I shut the car off and to acc. so battery connection is there.

Now looking for a usb hub that will look decent
                            I like the idea of 13-14 and leave alone, but my understanding is that gives an "always on" state. Is that correct?

The problem is I want to power my iMon Ultrabay from the front M2. In order to work properly, it has to shut down with the computer. If it were on all the time, then the display would be on all the time (might not be too bad since the computer shuts down and the imon reads the time at that point).

It has a plug for the motherboard that will work directly with the M2. Something tells me my final solution is going to be the 13-14 and the imon is just going to have to route all the way back to the main computer.

"Always on" might work. It will depend on if the imon draws enough current to run the battery down at idle.
                            My opinion is my own.

Comment

No, it is not always on - shutdown seems to be determined by the jumper settings.... have not really experimented with it though, just left the settings as they were and checked on it the first time I shut down with it installed and it shut down as I was hoping.
                              Have not watched it since - but is not on after it has been sitting for a while

Comment

Working...
                              X