M4-ATX connectors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M4-ATX connectors?

I have seen elsewhere on this forum someone talking about the new M4-ATX dc-dc power supply, noting that there were no wires or connectors supplied to send the pulse to the motherboard, or any of the other reported functionality of this power supply, such as USB programming. I'd be very interested in where others have found their supplies or how they rigged this. Also, Has anyone successfully bench tested this model ,and what methods outside the car have they used to achieve this. Does this model require a minimum amperage of 12 volt to work? The documentation for this unit stinks to say the least!

I am a newbie, but I am an informed newbie. I'll report on my project later today with pictures and I'll start a journal.
    Thanks for helping me in advance, and please forgive me if I am repeating another thread here. I did try to look!

Ben

Originally posted by GhostRiderDad View Post
    Does this model require a minimum amperage of 12 volt to work?
    Amps are different from volts.

I am currently bench testing an M4 unit. You are correct, it does not come with a cable to connect to the ACPI jumpers from the M4 to the motherboard. I have fashioned my own out of spare connectors I had laying around.

It does come with a USB cable that theoretically permits programming, but as there is no firmware upgrade or program at this time, it is of no use.

The unit does come with the proper cabling for most motherboards and supplies both IDE and SATA units with power. It also comes with a 4 pin wire for motherboards such as the Intel Little Valley board that require an additional power cable to post.

The documentation is sparse and while it addresses the issue of switching modes and how to reprogram the board to do so, a jumper is not supplied. You will have to find or supply one on your own.

I have not yet hooked the unit up to my motherboard as I have been reading the problems and issues with interest and am checking the functionality of the unit prior to introducing a motherboard into the mix.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I did not recieve a USB connector with my PS. all I got was the PS itself, and the motherboard power connector, with attached peripheral connectors, and the 12v P4 connector wire. I know the difference between volts and amps. I read somewhere that you can use a standard PS as a "Battery", providing it puts out at least 15 amps on the 12V rail. Its just so frustrating that the documentation is so lacking. You look at the documentation for Opus and others and their cocumentation is so much more comprehensive!

Comment

Maybe it depends on where you get it. I got mine at the mp3car store and they shipped the USB connector with it.

I think you probably can use a standard PSU for bench testing purposes if you want to sub it for the battery in the way you described.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

what does the usb connector look like? Does anyone have a photo of it? Does anyone have a photo of their connectors from the PS to the motherboard?

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
            Maybe it depends on where you get it. I got mine at the mp3car store and they shipped the USB connector with it.

I think you probably can use a standard PSU for bench testing purposes if you want to sub it for the battery in the way you described.
            I got mine from Mp3car store and I didn't get a USB cable
            My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

Comment

how did you rig up the on/off motherboard wire? Did you do anything about the USB cable and lack thereof?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostRiderDad View Post
                how did you rig up the on/off motherboard wire? Did you do anything about the USB cable and lack thereof?
                I used a motherboard led/on/off connector from an old pc.

I guess I should email Mp3car and ask for my USB cable huh ?
                My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

Comment

Yeah, I 'd find out from them if they could send you one. I'd like to get one myself, but I got mine on ebay. Does MP3car.com offer one by itself? I'd love if they offered a on/off cable that I could buy for this PS...since it doesn't come with one. Which I don't get, since the m2-atx comes with the on/off cable, at least from what I can see in the pictures of it.

Comment

I think the pinouts on the M4 for the USB are incorrect, see http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...onnection.html #3
                    Fox Mulder
                    2004 Toyota MR2
                    Modified Intel Xeon E5450 3Ghz Quad Core 2GB RAM 160GB SSD M4ATX Xenarc 700TSV TS Toslink Audio BU353 DiNovo Mini Car2PC ODBII Bluetooth HF 16x2 Character LCD

Comment

Working...
                    X