M2-atx Override Switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2-atx Override Switch

Need Help understanding how to override my PSU so I can turn off my IGN and still keep my pc running. I have searched and seen a few drawings but I am not very good at understanding how it all reads. My thinkings are this,

1. one wire from the switch to the IGN of the psu IGN
    2. other wire from the switch to the "always on power"

Does this seem some what correct? Or am I way off?

I have attached my version of a diagram, feel free to laugh as well! I am far from an artist! Hope if any it gives you some kind of Idea of what i am thinking.

Thanks alot Phil
    Attached Files

Yup, just like that.

Of course if you get an ON-OFF-ON switch, then if you leave the switch in the middle, the PC will not turn on with the ignition, good for when you just need to roll your windows up or something./
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

cool thanks alot, could you help explain how I would wire the three pos switch? where does the thrid wire from the switch go? sorry don't mean to sound dumb just not sure and don't want to burn out either my psu or mb.

Thanks alot 2k1toaster! You are the man!

Comment

ON --- Constant +12v
        OFF -- To IGN of M2-ATX
        ON --- Switched +12v
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

2k1toaster

could you have a look at this picture, they are saying there is an optional on/off switch is this switch the same as what I am trying to do? Is it built into the psu already? Or is this for something different?

Again many thanks
          Phil
          Attached Files

Comment

That is not actually and "on/off switch". It is a momentary pushbutton (like you would find on your computer case) for manual control that way.

If the M2 is on (regardless of computer state) then the momentary button on J9 will turn the computer on and off depending on how it is setup in windows (sleep/wake, hibernate/resume, full on/full off) as well as the M2's automatic on and off from the PIC timers.

The switch that you described in the beginning goes to control the M2. Has nothing to do with the PC. If the M2 sees no power on the IGN line, it never wakes up, meaning the computer doesnt get power/wake up. If the M2 sees the car's switched 12v (default wiring), then the M2 is on when the car is on, and M2 is off when the car is off. This then is passed to the computer which becomes on when the car is on and off when the car is off. If the M2 gets constant 12v, then the M2 is always on. So the computer will turn on automatically with the M2 when you wire it in the car, and will stay on until the battery dies. The computer will be sent 1 startup pulse when you connect the M2 to the car's wiring, and will never be told to shutoff.

So the best method is use a switch. That way you can select these modes when you want.

Need to roll up the windows? Then flip the switch to the centre so the M2 gets no juice on the IGN line. Then turn on the car roll up the windows. Computer never boots.

Need to get gas, and passenger wants to keep using the PC? Then flip the switch to constant +12v. When you turn the car off, the M2 has no idea you did since it now gets 12v no matter what until the battery dies. But usually a fill up takes less time than to drain your battery unless you drive a Daewoo and are stupid enough to put in a dual Xeon setup or something.

So for normal operation leave it on the ignition area, and the M2 goes the way it was meant to.

Comment

Originally posted by funkyphil View Post
              Need Help understanding how to override my PSU so I can turn off my IGN and still keep my pc running. I have searched and seen a few drawings but I am not very good at understanding how it all reads. My thinkings are this,

1. one wire from the switch to the IGN of the psu IGN
              2. other wire from the switch to the "always on power"

Does this seem some what correct? Or am I way off?

I have attached my version of a diagram, feel free to laugh as well! I am far from an artist! Hope if any it gives you some kind of Idea of what i am thinking.

Thanks alot Phil

your diagram needs a diode after the "IGN" to keep your switch from backfeeding all your other electronics

Comment

Originally posted by greenman100 View Post
                your diagram needs a diode after the "IGN" to keep your switch from backfeeding all your other electronics
                if you do it like you wired it.

I thought you had a 3rd wire going from the switch.

If you do it the way I have explained above, you dont need the diode. Just dont feed constant 12v into your switched.

Comment

hey guys, can someone be a pal and draw me up a pretty dumbbed down version of how I need to do this? Kinda like the one I drew, cus now we are talking about adding a diode and I don't know where to install that. Or yet even better what kind of diode to even buy. Is there a diode size i need to keep this wiring safe?

Thanks again for all your help, and 2K1Toaster thank you so much for all your time, and replys. Means alot and many thanks to you and everyone who has helpped!

Phil

Comment

You dont need a diode if you wire it like I said.

ON -- 12v
                    OFF - IGN of M2
                    ON -- IGN

Comment

2K1TOASTER,

Thank you Sir I will try that this weekend. Say I want to add a LED light showing that the switch is on, is that a huge task more? You know what I don't need that thank you anyways you been a huge help!

Phil

Comment

There is a diagram here for a switch with LED:
                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/1199034-post5.html
                        ~Jimmy

Comment

hey guys, can someone be a pal and draw me up a pretty dumbbed down version of how I need to do this?
                          sure...

now we are talking about adding a diode and I don't know where to install that. Or yet even better what kind of diode to even buy. Is there a diode size i need to keep this wiring safe?
                          you don't need a diode if you use a SP3T or DPDT switch (center off).

good luck
                          F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
                          Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                          Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Can someone help me out also. I have the M4...but I would like to have a led turn on to let me know the M4 is in Override mode. I have a DPDT on off on switch...also a 680ohm resistor for the led. I would also like to have it where the pc don't turn on if I just need to turn the car on for a short time...or turn the pc on with out the car been on.

A diagram like the one FusionFanatic have would be real nice too. I'm not good with diagram like these http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/1199034-post5.html

Thanks any help.

Soloxp

Comment

Ok, I have everthing hookup and working just like FusionFanatic diagram on my M4-atx. Is there a way to us a relay with a led. Have the led come when I have the switch in on, never turn off mode.

Comment

Working...
                              X