Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Power and Cooling Sleekline DC-DC PSU

Anyone using one of these ?

If so how are you powering them? Straight from the battery or what?

Any good / bad points to utilizing one of these as long as I keep it cool?

Re: PC Power and Cooling Sleekline DC-DC PSU

Originally posted by ddt

People say that they die a lot, and they don't have a very good temperature range.

You can power any power supply straight from the battery or the lighter socket, you just might run into problems using the cig lighter.

Depending on your application, you might be interested in the one I make. http://www.mpegbox.org

-Jeff
    MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
    www.mpegbox.com

Comment

I actually just emailed you about a shutdown controller.

I would consider one of your power supplies however my application would require more power.

Comment

Re: PC Power and Cooling Sleekline DC-DC PSU

Originally posted by ddt
        Anyone using one of these ?

If so how are you powering them? Straight from the battery or what?

Have you read the specs on this PSU?

Operating Range: 9VDC - 16VDC
        When you start your car with an old or bad battery, the voltage may drop below 9 volts. When you put a charger to the battery, the voltage may raise above 16 volts. I should know. I fried my Xenarc monitor because of it. 9 to 16 volts is pretty good range though. A healthy battery shouldn't have any problem powering the PSU. Triggle charging with 2 amps should be no problem.

Current: 20A max.
        20 amp is too much for a 100 watt PSU. A good PSU should use about 1 amp per 10 watts output.

Efficiency: 65%
        This PSU is not efficient enough. A good PSU should be 85+% efficent

Temperature: 0-40 C
        The temp range is not wide enough for most geographical locations. Most places will have temperatures of either below freezing during winter or 50+ during summer inside the car with windows closed. A good PSU should withstand at least -10 to 60 C

Dimensions: 3.95"W x 7.9"D x 1.6"H
        Thats kind of big for my taste.

If you don't mind, may I suggest
        http://home.attbi.com/~zootjeff/
        for Mini-ITX boards
        http://www.opussolutions.com/150watt.html
        for high speed pentium class setup. This also has built in shut down controller.
        NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
        If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Thanks, but I was trying to avoid spending $190 on a PSU. (P3 866)

Comment

Originally posted by ddt
            Thanks, but I was trying to avoid spending $190 on a PSU. (P3 866)
            FYI: I have a new one in the box that I took out just to see if it works. I purchased it a few months ago and am now debating selling it for an OPUS.

I will let you know if I decide to sell it, or anyone else for that matter...

-Mario

Comment

sure, let me know... by the way, what is the wattage on that thing?

Comment

100 watts

Comment

I have one (in a european car, maybe that makes a difference), hooked on the cigarette lighter, and it works like a champ.
                  I don't need no stinkin' startup-shutdown controller... That's what journalized filesystems are for...
                  NavSys, the ultimate navigation app
                  http://www.navsys.org/

Comment

Originally posted by sxpert
                    I have one (in a european car, maybe that makes a difference), hooked on the cigarette lighter, and it works like a champ.
                    And why would that make any difference ?
                    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Maybe the european makes are better than the american ones on quality of the power supply or something ;-)
                      I don't need no stinkin' startup-shutdown controller... That's what journalized filesystems are for...
                      NavSys, the ultimate navigation app
                      http://www.navsys.org/

Comment

Working...
                      X