Powering a USB Hub with a mac mini + P1900

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering a USB Hub with a mac mini + P1900

I'm running a mac mini booting into Windows with a Carnetix P1900 PSU and mac pac power cable. I'm using the secondary 12v power output of the P1900 to power my screen.

But I need to add a powered USB hub to the mix now and not sure the best way to handle it. The easiest solution would be to just get something from the MP3CAR store like the Carnetix P5V 3rd regulated output, but $25US + $85US shipping to Australia for something that probably fits in an envelope means it isn't really an option.

So is there a solution I can engineer using local electronics shops to perhaps convert the 12v from the screen output to 5v and share that with USB hub? Would there be enough current to do this? Am I doomed to have to connect the screen straight to the battery and use the 5v output of the P1900 for a USB hub?

Check out this thread for a 12v USB hub fro www.usbgear.com Cost + shipping to aus might not end up any different though.... I think there are some other threads out here that have home made 5v regulator designs..

Comment

Got a friend in the US that can ship it cheaper?
      CarPC status:

[XXXXXXXXXX] 100% Complete
      [XXXXXXXXXX] 100% Installed
      [XXXXXXXXXX] 100% Software

CarPC v1.2 is now in effect. Software updates and hardware additions to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave323Ci View Post
        Check out this thread for a 12v USB hub fro www.usbgear.com Cost + shipping to aus might not end up any different though.... I think there are some other threads out here that have home made 5v regulator designs..
        Yeah saw those but once again a little pricey once it gets down under.

Originally posted by KryptonianJorel View Post
        Got a friend in the US that can ship it cheaper?
        I don't even have any friends in Australia, yet alone America

Comment

You can connect to the 12v and use a 5v voltage regulator. This is what I did and it works great. They are pretty cheap and not difficult to use.

Comment

Would it be possible to just buy a cigarette lighter -> USB adapter such as this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-2A-5-5V-C...dZp1638Q2em124

and pull it apart so that it was powered by the 12v output of my PSU rather than the cigarette lighter. The hack the USB end of it (which should be outputting 5v @ 2A) and engineer it into a power plug for something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-2-0-Hub-7...QQcmdZViewItem

???

Am I on the right track?

Comment

Just noticed that the secondary 12v output of the P1900 is only 1.3A so if I was going to go down this route I'd have to rig it up straight to the battery (cigarette lighter) anyway. That isn't much of a problem.

Comment

Working...
              X