AC Adapter for Casetronics/EPIA -M

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Adapter for Casetronics/EPIA -M

Bought an EPIA-M board with a casetonics case from idot (great company to deal with). When I got it, I installed my slim line DVD ROM drive and my 40 gig 3.5 hard drive. Plugged in the AC/DC adapter (which has a little green light on it) and booted the machine. After a couple of minutes, the system shutdown and I couldnít get her back up. I noticed that the green light on the AC adapter (which was bright green before) is now dim and slightly flickering. I think I blew the ac adapter. The adapter is rated at 4.58 amp (I think). Iím not really concerned because Iím going to go with the Opus when I move it into the car. For the time being, I need something to play with instead of having an ATX power supply rigged up to the system.

Question: Does anyone know where I can get a AC adapter with about a 5 amp 12 volt output?

Thanks.

Doesn't the case come with some kind of warranty?
    It does not look to me like you did anything that would void such a warranty. I say recontact idiot and have them ship you a replacement.

Comment

You may want to also check for shorts which is a possibility. If I were you I would make sure that this PC runs fine with a regular ATX or The supplied AC adapter before moving to 12V adapter if you find one.

Comment

Adapter

I currently have the board and drives connected to a ATX supply and have been running it all day. Works fine. Iíll give Idot a call on Monday but Iím afraid if I connect another one, the same thing will happen. I may connect it to a battery and measure the amps. I also found that digikey has a adapter that supplies 5 amps, might just order that.

BTW Ė Using the EPIA Ė M with the Xenarc works like a champ, no powerstrip. The EPIA Ė M has a 720x480 res and looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by abbas
          I say recontact idiot and have them ship you a replacement.
          Nice one

About the PSU;
          It's probably easier to get a 13.8V/6Amp power supply, such one that is used by radio amateurs. These are pretty cheap.
          Place two or three power diodes in series with the power to get rid of the extra 1.8V.
          This will also give you a nice power source for your final (Opus) setup to work at home, so you don't spill money...

Henk

white bream
          working on a trilogy: CARGO - UNIGO - MERGO
          CARGO = the Car Computer
          Intel Celeron M, [P]SDC, uBlox GPS, GPRS, WLAN, Silabs FM, RDS, TMC,
          Dual-audio, Onecable TFT, Microsize: 45 x 108 x 168mm (1.8 x 4.3 x 6.6")

Comment

Will the power diodes allow the 6amps though? Not to familiar with the amateur radio, any links? Just so I can get an idea and get started.

Comment

Power Supply

After doing some searching I think I'm going to get one of these.

http://www.lashen.com/vendors/csispe...r_Supplies.asp (scroll down to the PSR-7)

The shop is local so I can avoid shipping and waiting. Beacuse it is 12v, I can plug it in directly to the casetronic's case or in to the opus. Also I can avoid the whole diodes thing.

Comment

That is exactly what I meant. You see it's got some reserve, so it won't blow because of some overload. Oh and it's actually 13.8V; look again at the front image...
                Any electronics store will be able to sell you 6Amp power diodes.

Succes,
                Henk

white bream
                working on a trilogy: CARGO - UNIGO - MERGO
                CARGO = the Car Computer
                Intel Celeron M, [P]SDC, uBlox GPS, GPRS, WLAN, Silabs FM, RDS, TMC,
                Dual-audio, Onecable TFT, Microsize: 45 x 108 x 168mm (1.8 x 4.3 x 6.6")

Comment

My bad. I didn't even see that. I just found a couple on ebay for like 30 bucks, I think I'll go that route. Thanks.

Comment

Why not use the 12v from your ATX power supply instead of buying one? They usually supply current higher than 6 amps if needed. I am assuming you want to use the 12 v to feed the dc/dc board in the case...

abbas

Comment

abbas,
                      Duh...Thats a great idea. I didn't even thing about that. The only catch is that the power supply I am using now, I had to "borrow" from another computer (My server). I do have a couple of AT PS laying around and I'll give that a shot. I'll just have to check the amp rating on it. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Usually the PS has a label with the rating. Hopefully yours is capable to supply the required Amps. Otherwise I think you should grab a PS for PC instead of the other one, I am very sure it will come handy. PS are around $19-$25 or so.

Just remember wire color yellow and black I think for the 12 v. Red and black for 5v.

PS: if you were able to run the PC from the ATX then they should be a fault at the adapter level or the dc/dc board... My feeling is the adapter is the issue.

good luck

Comment

Working...
                        X