Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

n00b question - too much power for DC-DC PSU?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b question - too much power for DC-DC PSU?

Hey guys, thanks for everyone who contributes to the help of guys like me that just go for it, then upgrade later

I have been using this setup for about a year:

400 Watt power inverter
    230 Watt Mini-ATX PSU (cheap-o brand)
    Mini-ATX Abit VA-20 Motherboard Socket A
    Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0ghz with stock Heatsink + Fan
    1GB DDR1 Ram
    400GB HDD (standard size internal IDE)
    BU-353 GPS USB
    USB Keyboard
    Lilliput 7" TS
    Microsoft Bluetooth Dongle

I REALLY want to get rid of the PSU I have (moltex connectors are shaky and HDD loses power when I hit a hard bump), and I really want to get rid of the crappy power inverter.

AND I REALLY want to be able to run the system without having to keep the engine running (power inverter will just crash 5 seconds after the engine is shut off). I want to watch movies with the car off.

Do I have to cut back on power consumers, like the larger CPU, HDD, etc? Or am I not really drawing too much power...

Which DC-DC PSU will be suitable?

This is currently in my '05 STi

Thanks in advance

Edit: I just looked at the calculator (what an awesome thing!!!!) and I came up with a Minimum Requirement of about 148watts. Does that sound about right?
    2005 Subaru STi

I don't know if that sounds right, but if you did the calculations properly, give yourself about another 50 watts of headroom and buy a 200 watt DC-DC PSU and you'll be all sorted out.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

i think u'll be fine with a DSATX, or m4atx (wait until bugs are fixed).
      An opus 150 is also possible, but you might be pushing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Punky View Post
        i think u'll be fine with a DSATX, or m4atx (wait until bugs are fixed).
        An opus 150 is also possible, but you might be pushing it.
        I bought the DSATX 220W Intelligent DC-DC PSU! I am excited to get rid of the crap equipment and not have to hit a switch and two buttons to turn on my CarPC (switch to turn on power inverter, power button on Lilliput, and Power button for PC... ugh!)
        2005 Subaru STi

Comment

Working...
        X