Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

160 watt inveter for intel D201gly2 system?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 160 watt inveter for intel D201gly2 system?

    Hi, guys, I am building a car pc system. My plan is to use a 160 watt inverter with a 145watt computer power supply. is that ok? or I need a more powerful inverter? Thanks.

  • #2
    First of all, none of us would recommend an inverter for a vehicle PC.

    Second, if you insist on using an inverter, the rule of thumb is 1.5-2 times the maximum output draw of the devices plugged into the inverter.

    Third, you need to calculate the power draw o the system to see if the 145w PSU is acceptable. It probably is, but I'd run the system through a power draw calculator to be certain.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

    Comment


    • #3
      i run a D201gly on an 80W 12-12 psu, with a few usb devices and its more than enough power supply. i think that whole board is 40 to 50W max

      a better option if you are buying new power inverters is just get a 12 - 12 v psu for the pc... make sure its rated for car use.. eg input voltage range is often 9v to 28v

      click on ther mp3car store button / logo above and look at their PSU's

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ltx8d View Post
        Hi, guys, I am building a car pc system. My plan is to use a 160 watt inverter with a 145watt computer power supply. is that ok? or I need a more powerful inverter? Thanks.
        1. for starters, read these power supply FAQs: power supplies explained, how to pick a power supply, and will X power supply work with my system?

        2. you don't need a more powerful inverter, you need to ditch the inverter idea altogether and use a DC-DC power supply instead.

        your car runs on DC, and your carPC runs on DC. if you use an inverter, you are converting the car's low voltage DC to high voltage AC, only to have the computer's PSU convert it back down to low voltage DC again. this double conversion process wastes energy, which is lost as heat and can increase vehicle emissions and consume more fuel (probably not enough to notice, but with gas prices rising, every bit counts ) bottom line: a DC-DC power supply is ALWAYS a better solution.

        most DC-DC ATX power supplies are "intelligent". they will automatically turn your carPC on/off with your car's ignition switch, as well as automatically shut the system down if your car battery drops below a certain voltage.

        NOTE: I have a D201GLY2A (pretty much the same board) that I power with a M2-ATX "intelligent ATX power supply".
        F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
        Fusion Carputer [2.0]
        Fusion Carputer [1.0]

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by FusionFanatic View Post
          your car runs on DC, and your carPC runs on DC. if you use an inverter, you are converting the car's low voltage DC to high voltage AC, only to have the computer's PSU convert it back down to low voltage DC again. this double conversion process wastes energy, which is lost as heat and can increase vehicle emissions and consume more fuel (probably not enough to notice, but with gas prices rising, every bit counts )
          As I understand it, a switching power supply, which is in most intelligent power supplies, converts the DC to AC, then steps it to the various currents that it needs, then converts it back to DC. So, while an inverter is an evil thing, neither are DC-DC power supplies quite as clean as you might think.

          [/BackOnTopic]
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks, guys. I understand it is more convenient to use a DC-DC power supply, but I want to use the PC at home too. so if I use the DC-DC power supply, I have to find an adapter (AC-DC) when I use the PC at home. any suggestion about the adapter if I want to use with M2-ATX? Thanks.

            Comment


            • #7
              There is a semi simple solution for using the m2atx.
              You could place on your pc a pluggable connector(s) that can plug to the power, ign, and ground while it is in the car. While you have it at home you need a ac-dc power brick that can handle the necessary current (Amps) for the output of +12VDC. That may or may not be the hardest thing to find because of the current requirements. In that case, ground goes to the negative output after the brick, then you can jump the 2 power wires together (constant, ign) or put a switch on the ign line for toggling the power supply on/off.
              "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
              "Do it right or don't do it at all"

              PROGRESS:
              [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

              Comment


              • #8
                I have an old Radio Shack 13.8v/3a AC-DC power supply that I use to power my M2-ATX when maintaining/upgrading/programming my carePC at home.

                the M2-ATX has an onboard 15a fuse, but I've run my system at 100% CPU load and it has never tripped the 3-amp circuit breaker on the RS power supply.
                F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
                Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                Fusion Carputer [1.0]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                  As I understand it, a switching power supply, which is in most intelligent power supplies, converts the DC to AC, then steps it to the various currents that it needs, then converts it back to DC. So, while an inverter is an evil thing, neither are DC-DC power supplies quite as clean as you might think.

                  [/BackOnTopic]
                  Not quite...
                  A switching power supply will convert the DC power available in your car (8V-16V depending on the conditions) directly to 12V, 5V, 3.3V -5V and -12V required by your computer. There is no AC involved unless you deal with an inverter.

                  The good quality DC-DC supplies will keep a steady output voltage on all outputs even if the input is lower than the required output. (love that sentence) They will range from 80% to 92% efficiency. What this means is only 8-20% of the power is lost.

                  When using an inverter you will lose close to 20%-30% just on the conversion from DC to AC, and then another 15%-25% when converting back to DC. This is for sure an unnecessary loss DC-DC 8%-20% and DC-AC-DC 35%-55% (when added). The difference is obvious...

                  Often inverters will also introduce noise if not setup correctly. Unless you have an inverter laying around and don't want to spend the money, or you are putting together a system with huge power requirements there is nothing going for an inverter.
                  I'll spout simplistic opinions for hours on end.
                  Ridicule anyone who disagrees with me,
                  and generally foster divisiveness,
                  cynicism and lower level of public dialog!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KaiTech View Post
                    Not quite...
                    A switching power supply will convert the DC power available in your car (8V-16V depending on the conditions) directly to 12V, 5V, 3.3V -5V and -12V required by your computer. There is no AC involved unless you deal with an inverter.
                    Could you explain to me how it steps the voltage up?
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X