Startup & Shutdown Circuit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Startup & Shutdown Circuit

Hello all! I'm a newcomer to your home here.

I thought you might be interested in this little gadget. It looks like
    it's Todd's Grandamp startup/shutdown circit from over at
    dashboardpc.

They say Linux & Windows drivers...

Anybody that knows of this buy and try?

Check it here:

Looks nice if it has multiple relays to turn on and off (mutiple=3?) devices after independent delay times. Would like to see a more detailed description of it though.

Comment

Originally posted by az1324
      Looks nice if it has multiple relays to turn on and off (mutiple=3?) devices after independent delay times. Would like to see a more detailed description of it though.
      It looks like DashWorks and DashPC are related,and the FAQ's are on DashWorks.

If the contoller is originally from DashPC, it may be like this: From the
      DashPC FAQ:

I've e-mailed cbergeron for any confirmations.

How do you shutdown the system?
      When the Accessory line in the car goes low (key removed) the in-dash VGA LCD shuts off. After Linux has finished shutting down the computer the power inverter gets turned off. A Basic Stamp 2 microprocessor handles most of the process.
      It happens like this:

Startup:
      the Basic Stamp 2 (BS2) waits until the car is turned on
      when the car is turned on the BS2 turns on power to the inverter (the inverter is always switched "on")
      the BS2 waits for 4 seconds (for the inverter to power up) then it turns on the computer via the power switch header on the motherboard
      the BS2 then waits for 30 seconds for Linux to boot up
      the BS2 turns on the Dashboard VGA LCD and the Headrest displays
      the computer is now ready to be used
      the BS2 now waits (in a loop) until the car is turned off

Shutdown:
      when the car is turned off (indicated by a low accessory line) the BS2 turns off the Dashboard VGA LCD and Headrest displays.
      the BS2 says, "[SHUTDOWN]" to the serial port of the Linux computer
      the computer sees the shutdown request (via this perl script) and it shuts down/off the computer.
      the BS2 kills the power to the inverter
      the BS2 now sits quietly and waits until the car is started

Comment

thats controller sounds nice but mastero builds one that has the option of allowing you to turn the car off for a period of time without having to reboot when you get back in.

for example if you leave somewhere and have to go back for something you forgot. turn the car off and come back and the computer is still on and away you go.

designed by jeff mucha-do a search-its been around for awhile
        99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Originally posted by albysure
          thats controller sounds nice but mastero builds one that has the option of allowing you to turn the car off for a period of time without having to reboot when you get back in.

for example if you leave somewhere and have to go back for something you forgot. turn the car off and come back and the computer is still on and away you go.

designed by jeff mucha-do a search-its been around for awhile

Hey thanks,
          I have seen that one. I believe that was the first conception of such a device when I started doing research for the project.

The one I pointed out above looks like it had what you mentioned.

This startup and shutdown circuit was designed for starting and stopping a personal computer from within a car. This circuit features:
          • Multiple user defined start relays
          • Serial port shutdown signal
          • ACPI motherboard header trigger/toggle
          • User adjustable delay for LCD's or Amplifier turnon.
          User adjustable delayed shutdown
          • Valet bypass switch
          If your motherboard offers ACPI shutdown, this circuit is operating system independent. If your motherboard is older, and doesn't have the ACPI feature, the serial port can be used to shutdown your Dashboard PC. We currently provide shutdown drivers for the LinuxTM and windows operating systems. The User adjustable shutdown delay can be set from 1 second to 20 minutes. When gassing up or running into a store, this delay keeps your PC booted without shutting down.
          I do wish they would give more details / description of it though.
          If it is anything like Christopher Bergeron’s (www.dashpc.com) my mistake earlier,
          Then it’s PIC controlled. I’ve e-mailed the supplier to see if they can / will share more details…

Comment

Update!

The device I stumbled accross is Christoper Bergeron's

Here is his responce to my e-mail

Unfortunately, the DSSC circuit won't be available until late Februrary.
            It's an adjustable PIC based timing circuit that can be used to turn on
            a master power supply, an ACPI motherboard, and 2 independently timed
            external devices (ie: LCD, Amps). I don't have the dimensions of the
            circuit, but it's only going to be a few inches long by about 2 inches.
            With connectors for an external high-power relay, serial port (and
            serial port header), and ACPI header pins.

I will be posting the instruction manual on the site as I get closer to
            having it in stock.

Thanks for your inquiry,
            Chris Bergeron
            Sounds like it's going to be pretty nice...

Comment

Working...
            X