Bench to Car (Pre-Install Questions)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench to Car (Pre-Install Questions)

Long time lurker here. Thanks to all for great advise and helping to get me this far.

I am about ready to make the move from the bench to my Explorer.

Here’s what I have:

VIA EPIA MII 12000 Mini-ITX Mainboard
    1 GB RAM
    M2-ATX 160W Intelligent DC-DC PSU
    80 GB notebook hard drive
    Storex notebook DVD Rom with cd writer
    Lilliput EBY701-NP/C/T

Future plans: GPS & OBDII

I have modified a diagram I found on here to match my setup (can’t remember who to give credit to…Sorry!)

My questions:

1. M2 Power: Can I power my M2-ATX from a distribution block that is connected to my battery (fused at the battery) via 4AWG? I currently have a 1 (4AWG) to 2 (6AWG) block but am looking to buy a 1-3. What size fuse should I use for the M2 leg? The original diagram has 30A… Is that OK?

2. M2 to EPIA connection: I have read many posts about people toasting their M2 by hooking the j8 to motherboard jumper incorrectly/reverse polarity or something??? I can’t seem to find clear instructions on this and I do not what to toast mine. Can someone please give me input on how to connect the M2 to the motherboard correctly? I know you plug the 20pin ATX connector but what about the power-on switch pins? How do I make sure I have the polarity right?

Also, I want a reset –and- kill/bypass switch. I think the j9 will work for the kill/bypass, right? Is there polarity I need to be concerned with? Where do I hook up a reset switch… On the motherboard?

3. M2 remote wire: My current setup has a remote wire running from the head unit/harness to my amps. Can I just re-route this wire to the M2 instead then out to both amps? What about the RMT GND pin on the M2? Send it to the chassis? Or is it even necessary?

4. Power management settings: What are the preferred settings for the M2 j10 jumpers combined with winXP power (hibernate, shut down, etc)? My main concern is running down my battery by not knowing what the hell I’m doing? Boot-up time is obviously important too.

5. Lilliput Power: I have read that the best way to power the monitor is from the M2 which I plan to do by cutting off the cig adapter. Should I leave the inline filter on the adapter cable or cut it off too?

Also, to connect it to the M2, can I just wire the cut adapter cable to a molex plug so I can easily plug it into the M2?

Thanks in advance!
    My System (2005 Ford Explorer)
    Intel D945GCLF2 Mini-ITX Mainboard
    2 GB RAM
    250 GB hdd
    500 GB USB hdd
    M2-ATX
    D-Link DWL-121 WiFi
    OBDII Elm327 Bluetooth
    Lilliput EBY701-NP/C/T

Anyone care to tackle this? Thanks!
    2 GB RAM
    250 GB hdd
    500 GB USB hdd
    M2-ATX
    D-Link DWL-121 WiFi
    OBDII Elm327 Bluetooth
    Lilliput EBY701-NP/C/T

Comment

Ad. 5 Here You will find some pictures with description. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/lcd-...monitor-3.html

If you don't have free molex connector You can cut off FDD connector and solder liliput cable directly to Yellow and Black wire.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        Ad. 5 Here You will find some pictures with description. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/lcd-...monitor-3.html

If you don't have free molex connector You can cut off FDD connector and solder liliput cable directly to Yellow and Black wire.
        Thanks sly... #5 scratched off the list.

Now if I could get 1-4, It'd be much appreciated.
        2 GB RAM
        250 GB hdd
        500 GB USB hdd
        M2-ATX
        D-Link DWL-121 WiFi
        OBDII Elm327 Bluetooth
        Lilliput EBY701-NP/C/T

Comment

Originally posted by develguy View Post
          1. M2 Power: Can I power my M2-ATX from a distribution block that is connected to my battery (fused at the battery) via 4AWG? I currently have a 1 (4AWG) to 2 (6AWG) block but am looking to buy a 1-3. What size fuse should I use for the M2 leg? The original diagram has 30A… Is that OK?
          Yes to the distro block.
          30A fuse is sufficient for the M2ATX.

2. M2 to EPIA connection: I have read many posts about people toasting their M2 by hooking the j8 to motherboard jumper incorrectly/reverse polarity or something??? I can’t seem to find clear instructions on this and I do not what to toast mine. Can someone please give me input on how to connect the M2 to the motherboard correctly? I know you plug the 20pin ATX connector but what about the power-on switch pins? How do I make sure I have the polarity right?
          You're not going to fry the motherboard from J8 being reversed.
          You'll have to look at the motherboard manual to see which pin is + and which is ground.

Also, I want a reset –and- kill/bypass switch. I think the j9 will work for the kill/bypass, right? Is there polarity I need to be concerned with? Where do I hook up a reset switch… On the motherboard?
          A PC reset switch would go to the reset switch headers on the motherboard.
          As far as a "kill switch", it depends on what you want. If you want a valet switch type of arrangement, then a switch on the IGN line will work well.

3. M2 remote wire: My current setup has a remote wire running from the head unit/harness to my amps. Can I just re-route this wire to the M2 instead then out to both amps? What about the RMT GND pin on the M2? Send it to the chassis? Or is it even necessary?
          This is one I can't answer.
          Your arrangement for + to the amp and gnd to the chassis sounds correct, but I have no experience with an M2, so I'm going to state honestly that I do not know for certain.
          I'm sure someone else can answer this one for you.

4. Power management settings: What are the preferred settings for the M2 j10 jumpers combined with winXP power (hibernate, shut down, etc)? My main concern is running down my battery by not knowing what the hell I’m doing? Boot-up time is obviously important too.
          If you're going to hibernate, you'll need to set the jumpers to allow some time for the PC to enter hibernation mode before the M2ATX kills power. It's usually under a minute, but with 1GB RAM you might want to allow more time.

5. Lilliput Power: I have read that the best way to power the monitor is from the M2 which I plan to do by cutting off the cig adapter. Should I leave the inline filter on the adapter cable or cut it off too?
          It's not a filter. It's a regulator for 12v. Leave it in place, as the Liliput requires regulated 12v power.
          Another option is to tap a HDD connector from the M2ATX to power the LCD. Yellow is 12v and it will b regulated. This would have the Liliput powered on with the PC.

Also, to connect it to the M2, can I just wire the cut adapter cable to a molex plug so I can easily plug it into the M2?
          Yup.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Thanks a bunch DarquePervert!

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            If you're going to hibernate, you'll need to set the jumpers to allow some time for the PC to enter hibernation mode before the M2ATX kills power. It's usually under a minute, but with 1GB RAM you might want to allow more time.
            You said "if you are going to hibernate". Is there a better way?

OK, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, if I hibernate: I set XP to hibernate and set the M2 jumper to allow for enough time for XP to finishing hibernating. The ignition switch does all of the work. I'm hoping the recommended P1 jumper setting on the M2 will work. From the manual:

P1 - Sends ON pulse to motherboard when ignition is ON for more than 5 seconds, sends OFF pulse to motherboard 5 seconds after ignition is turned off. Waits another 60 seconds and then shuts down 5VSB to conserve battery. In this mode, the M2-ATX consumes less than 0.5mA.

This is one I can't answer.
            Your arrangement for + to the amp and gnd to the chassis sounds correct, but I have no experience with an M2, so I'm going to state honestly that I do not know for certain.
            I'm sure someone else can answer this one for you.
            Can someone confirm my #3 from above?
            The manual states that I can connect the remote wire from the M2 to the amps to active the Anti-Thump feature. So that's fine, but the amps don't have a ground specifically for the remote wire, obviously they have their own main ground going to the chassis.

Should I just tie the remote ground from the M2 header to the main ground on the M2 that goes to chassis? Thanks!
            2 GB RAM
            250 GB hdd
            500 GB USB hdd
            M2-ATX
            D-Link DWL-121 WiFi
            OBDII Elm327 Bluetooth
            Lilliput EBY701-NP/C/T

Comment

Originally posted by develguy View Post
              Thanks a bunch DarquePervert!

You said "if you are going to hibernate". Is there a better way?
              Some prefer a cold boot each time. It's certainly slower than hibernation.

OK, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, if I hibernate: I set XP to hibernate and set the M2 jumper to allow for enough time for XP to finishing hibernating. The ignition switch does all of the work. I'm hoping the recommended P1 jumper setting on the M2 will work. From the manual:
              You're correct.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
              X