Best possable DC-DC PSU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best possable DC-DC PSU

Money is not an object (kind of) but it needs to be relaiable(most important), and have lowest electrical noise possable

Why don't you do your own research?

There are a TON of threads on here that go over this topic. Basically, you don't want to do ANY research and just want someone to tell you exactly what to buy. What purpose does that serve when you're asked about the product or when you're asked WHY you went with that product? Unless you just want to appear l33t and not really know what you're doing.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
      Why don't you do your own research?

There are a TON of threads on here that go over this topic. Basically, you don't want to do ANY research and just want someone to tell you exactly what to buy. What purpose does that serve when you're asked about the product or when you're asked WHY you went with that product? Unless you just want to appear l33t and not really know what you're doing.
      Wow - she actualy managed to post an answers to all the questions I've asked without providing single usefull bit of info. I guess Jan's reputation in the car audio curcles is well deseved. Well honey all I could say is - yes - I'm lasy. I'm not asking stupid "how to" question, done tons of research on what I need overall, done many home media computers in the past and asking quite specific questions bout things I have not dealt before. Such as CarPC cases/PSU/heat dissapation/bluetoof integration/ quality of GPS recivers. I'm sure many fine people on this forum have been there and made their share of mistakes and findings but unfortunatley I was not able to find thread about PSUs with least electronic ripple and the only alternative is to read all threads in the topic, thread by thread. Which is what I'm doing in paralel
      But the only question I have to you is why you with your vast personal knowelege of the CarPCs had time to provide a meaningles rant bout spoon-feeding on ALL my questions, yet not a single usable pice of info - not one.
      Must be good to be a queen
      Sincerly
      Leon Rivkin

Comment

Buy an M4...then go thru all the bull**** I went thru trying to make it work properly...scouring the threads...emailing the manufacturer...RMA'ing the unit...

THEN you'll find out which PSU's are good, and which are not...lol

Hint: It's NOT the M4!

Comment

funny, my M4 works perfectly fine once I got one with the newest flash...1.3
          Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

funny, my M4 works perfectly fine once I got one with the newest flash...1.3
            Oh, I'm sure lots of people have M4's that run fine...
            Funny...But obviously you had issues BEFORE the 1.3 flash??

Comment

Yes, as with many first run products, myself and others had problems. Shipped it back, got the correct one, and it has worked fine ever since.

The difference between a good company and a not so good one is recognizing a problem and acting quickly to resolve it.
              Jan Bennett

Comment

Yes, as with many first run products, myself and others had problems. Shipped it back, got the correct one, and it has worked fine ever since.

The difference between a good company and a not so good one is recognizing a problem and acting quickly to resolve it.
                I disagree...I good company wouldn't subject customers to inferior products.
                At least they stood behind the M4.
                I however, sent mine back, waited 5 weeks, and got another defective one in return! (Or maybe they just sent the same one back to me, in which case, I wasted $60 overnighting it to them)...
                ANYWAY, the OP wants to know which is the best PSU...and I'm saying it isn't the M4.

Comment

Which flash did the second PSU have on it?

I will still disagree in stating that the M4 isn't the best. Would I go so far as to say it isn't the best? Nope. But as you've probably realized, I never say that any single anything is the best, as I simply don't believe in that concept.

Different products from different companies exist for various reasons.

If one product WAS the best, then why would any other product continue to exist? If one were the best, all others would be put out of business and no other product would be manufacturered.

Some people would say the M4 isn't the best because it doesn't fit inside of a case, I don't run a case, so I simply don't care.

Some people would say the Carnetix PSUs are the best...for me, they aren't because they don't fit the PSU needs that I have.

Some people would say that the Opus PSUs are best...or the DSATX, etc....you get my point.

"Best" is entirely dependent upon the projects needs and requirements, not based upon an individual's objective opinion.
                  Jan Bennett

Comment

Which flash did the second PSU have on it?
                    I can only assume the latest...why wouldn't it?

If one product WAS the best, then why would any other product continue to exist? If one were the best, all others would be put out of business and no other product would be manufacturered.
                    It continues to exist because guys like you argue that there is nothing wrong with it!
                    I had problems with 2 of these, so in my opinion, it is NOT the best PSU...
                    I wouldn't even recommend one to someone, let alone someone with 15 posts to his credit!

"Best" is entirely dependent upon the projects needs and requirements, not based upon an individual's objective opinion.
                    I'm not offering an opinion on the M4...I'm stating a fact as it pertains to me and my requirements...lol
                    My requirements were to power a PC...the M4 failed to do so twice...

So unless your selling M4's for profit, why don't we just let this one go into the books as "the M4 isn't perfect, and you take a chance buying one"??
                    There are better options available in my opinion...
                    Lets put THAT into the books as well, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by LCat View Post
                      Wow - she actualy managed to post an answers to all the questions I've asked without providing single usefull bit of info. I guess Jan's reputation in the car audio curcles is well deseved. Well honey all I could say is - yes - I'm lasy. I'm not asking stupid "how to" question, done tons of research on what I need overall, done many home media computers in the past and asking quite specific questions bout things I have not dealt before. Such as CarPC cases/PSU/heat dissapation/bluetoof integration/ quality of GPS recivers. I'm sure many fine people on this forum have been there and made their share of mistakes and findings but unfortunatley I was not able to find thread about PSUs with least electronic ripple and the only alternative is to read all threads in the topic, thread by thread. Which is what I'm doing in paralel
                      But the only question I have to you is why you with your vast personal knowelege of the CarPCs had time to provide a meaningles rant bout spoon-feeding on ALL my questions, yet not a single usable pice of info - not one.
                      Must be good to be a queen
                      Sincerly
                      Leon Rivkin
                      Man, what drama.

You're asking a question that has no possible answer based on the information you've provided. There are a number of quality DC-DC PSU units available that many would consider the best for their installations.
                      Besides, "best" is purely subjective. There is no one "best" DC-DC PSU because of different units for different circumstances.

And you should do your own research. You might actually figure out what you need for your particular installation and make a decision based on the criteria you deem significant, rather than what the majority thinks.
                      Or you could go with the majority and just be a lemming. Good luck powering that laptop that needs 19v with an M4ATX.

And as far as Jan's reputation, I know her personally. I have no idea how she is viewed in the car audio circles, but she has helped me immeasurably with my setup from choosing components, wiring my setup properly and safely and even constructing a sub enclosure.
                      I also believe that one major reason she and her husband are willing to help me is I am willing to at least attempt to figure things out on my own using informational resources that already exist rather than simply asking questions on a forum.

Frankly, I appreciate the fact that she, among others, consider pushing someone in the direction of learning something on their own rather than expect answers from forum users to be a valuable lesson.
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by WuNgUn View Post
                        I can only assume the latest...why wouldn't it?
                        That's why I'm asking. The latest will depend on WHEN you got it. If it was 1.2, then that would explain some things. They made more changes and went to 1.3.

It continues to exist because guys like you argue that there is nothing wrong with it!
                        I had problems with 2 of these, so in my opinion, it is NOT the best PSU...
                        I wouldn't even recommend one to someone, let alone someone with 15 posts to his credit!
                        I'm not a guy...

I'm not offering an opinion on the M4...I'm stating a fact as it pertains to me and my requirements...lol
                        My requirements were to power a PC...the M4 failed to do so twice...
                        Your facts are based upon YOUR experiences, mine based upon mine....that's what I'm trying to point out.

So unless your selling M4's for profit, why don't we just let this one go into the books as "the M4 isn't perfect, and you take a chance buying one"??
                        There are better options available in my opinion...
                        Lets put THAT into the books as well, huh?
                        What I'm getting at is that your basis for calling it a bad piece of equipment aren't valid. I'm not saying it's a great piece of equipment either mind you.

What I'm saying is that one of the biggest issues I see with people on this forum (and in the computer world in general) is that there are so many sheep out there that just want to know what 'the best' is and only base their decision on the few experiences given by a few people.

If you didn't have the latest flash on your M4, your experiences doesn't necessarily reflect the current situation. It reflects a past situation, in which case, it's entirely accurate to say it didn't work.
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

That's why I'm asking. The latest will depend on WHEN you got it. If it was 1.2, then that would explain some things. They made more changes and went to 1.3.

I'm not a guy...

Your facts are based upon YOUR experiences, mine based upon mine....that's what I'm trying to point out.

What I'm getting at is that your basis for calling it a bad piece of equipment aren't valid. I'm not saying it's a great piece of equipment either mind you.

What I'm saying is that one of the biggest issues I see with people on this forum (and in the computer world in general) is that there are so many sheep out there that just want to know what 'the best' is and only base their decision on the few experiences given by a few people.

If you didn't have the latest flash on your M4, your experiences doesn't necessarily reflect the current situation. It reflects a past situation, in which case, it's entirely accurate to say it didn't work.
                          Okay...not a guy..."people" like you?
                          It was only 6 weeks ago that I went thru all this with the M4. As far as I know, the firmware revisions had only to do with the timings and sequences. I can't even fathom why I'd only get static out of my sound cards! Only that it all pointed to the M4...

I'm just glad I have a working setup now...

As far as my comments go, Mini-box knows full well what I think of the M4, now Lcat does too.
                          Just a little more info for him to make an informed decision

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                            Man, what drama.

You're asking a question that has no possible answer based on the information you've provided. There are a number of quality DC-DC PSU units available that many would consider the best for their installations.
                            Besides, "best" is purely subjective. There is no one "best" DC-DC PSU because of different units for different circumstances.

And you should do your own research. You might actually figure out what you need for your particular installation and make a decision based on the criteria you deem significant, rather than what the majority thinks.
                            Or you could go with the majority and just be a lemming. Good luck powering that laptop that needs 19v with an M4ATX.

And as far as Jan's reputation, I know her personally. I have no idea how she is viewed in the car audio circles, but she has helped me immeasurably with my setup from choosing components, wiring my setup properly and safely and even constructing a sub enclosure.
                            I also believe that one major reason she and her husband are willing to help me is I am willing to at least attempt to figure things out on my own using informational resources that already exist rather than simply asking questions on a forum.

Frankly, I appreciate the fact that she, among others, consider pushing someone in the direction of learning something on their own rather than expect answers from forum users to be a valuable lesson.
                            To add to the above: Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.
                            2007 Camry Altise In-dash Car PC

Comment

Working...
                            X