Use 2 Power supplies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use 2 Power supplies?

I have an M4-ATX I just got to upgrade a more powerful CPU. Would it be benificial tp use my existing M2-ATX to dedicate to powering the 4-pin CPU connector and the M4 for the MB and peripherals? Or should I just let the M4 handle is all. I was also thinking of using the M2 as a regulated 12v supply just to power my LCD. Any thoughts?

Doing something similar myself, using a DSATX for the MB and a M2 to power LCD, DVD/CD, and USB hub(thinking about using it for a Fusion Brain just ordered also).

Don't know why you could not use the M2 to power the 4 pin CPU connector, but do recall a thread discussing using multiple power supplies
    If anyone gives me a rev - I give them the Bird

Comment

Cool. Yeah i have a fusion brain as well, so I figure I could power that as well with the M2.

My thought last night that is it would cause a problem if the M2 and M4 weren't exactly in sync with each other if I was using one to power CPU and the other the MB. THe bios doesn't like to do anything if there is no CPU power vice wersa.

Comment

If the M4 is powerful enough for your computer and peripherals, then just use the M4. Why complicate the setup?
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
          If the M4 is powerful enough for your computer and peripherals, then just use the M4. Why complicate the setup?
          Currently (no pun intended) I have an m2 and it is not enough power. At times, my screen will not power up (hooked to 12v rail on M2) and some devices will not work either. A simple restart fixes most of the time.

Comment

Also, gonna be running an AMD FX-62 Dual core, that's a bit more demand than my onboard via C7.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougw133 View Post
              Also, gonna be running an AMD FX-62 Dual core, that's a bit more demand than my onboard via C7.
              My god, man.. WHY?!?!?!

It always amazes me. Someone gets a low-end board with a C3 or C7 CPU and decides that it doesn't have enough oomph, then attempt the most bad-*** CPU they can find, damn the power draw!
              There are CPUs that will provide more than adequate computing power for your install without the need for a nuclear reactor to power it, man.

Never mind the heat generation from a beefy power-user CPU like that....
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                My god, man.. WHY?!?!?!

It always amazes me. Someone gets a low-end board with a C3 or C7 CPU and decides that it doesn't have enough oomph, then attempt the most bad-*** CPU they can find, damn the power draw!
                There are CPUs that will provide more than adequate computing power for your install without the need for a nuclear reactor to power it, man.

lol Darque,
                i know you don't mean to be funny, but your "shoot from the hip" style tickles me sometimes. You don't hold em up do you

Doug judgeing by your post count you're not a newb but 125watts does seem overkill (to each his own) but amd offers an "e" version chip that is 45 watts and dual core too. I have a "be" version that i think they replaced with the e's because of the nomenclature confusion and it is plenty fast and does everything I throw at it.
                If you cant DODGE em, RAM em.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougw133 View Post
                  Cool. Yeah i have a fusion brain as well, so I figure I could power that as well with the M2.

My thought last night that is it would cause a problem if the M2 and M4 weren't exactly in sync with each other if I was using one to power CPU and the other the MB. THe bios doesn't like to do anything if there is no CPU power vice wersa.
                  AIR(as I recall) from previously mentioned thread, you can wire one power supply to the other to trigger it to start to avoid sync problems

But - with a 45 watt CPU I would think the M4 should power the MB fine, depending on what else you have in there. I am powering my MB with a DSATX and am also using a CPU which pulls 45 watts
                  If anyone gives me a rev - I give them the Bird

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                    My god, man.. WHY?!?!?!

Haha, I hear ya. The fact of the matter is that I upgraded my Desktop to a Phenom so I have the Fx 62 sitting around. Rather than spend more cash I might has well put it to GOOD use. Plus, I'm hoping paired with my new SSD and some other goodies thaty I won't have to upgrade for a while...

Comment

If I can power my 8600GTS OC video card, monitor, and modem from a fused 12Volt battery circuit instead of from the PSU, I don't see why you can't do the same. Give it a try.

As long as it's a 12volt device and fused properly with the correct amperage stated on the device, you'll be fine.
                      Check out my CARPC: Project Diamond Plate

Quick Reference:
                      CPU Electrical Specs
                      Power Supply Calculator

Video Connections for newbies
                      Temperature Converter
                      Voltage Calculator

Comment

Well I'm not going to find out because the M4 is piece of Shi*. Out of the box it didn't work. I read somewhere that it might be a software setting for it but they don't even give you a 5pin usb calbe to see. I'm sending it back and getting something else.

Comment

this is a good example of plenty of oomph for only 35w....

Comment

Working...
                          X