If my PSU is too small, what happens?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If my PSU is too small, what happens?

I have an M2-ATX and have had it for over a year. I recently updated my system.

Specs:

Jetway jnc62k
    AMD FX-62 Dual Core 2.8 GHZ
    1 Sata 2.5" 7200 RPM HDD
    1 OCZ SSD 64MB (sata)
    Lilliput 619 7" LCD

Between GPS etc.. I have about 8 USB peripherals.
    HD Radio

After the install I notcied the age old lines on my LCD screen. Before the new install the screen was smooth with no problems. It is hooked into the 12v rail of the PSU. Aside from the screen I have noticed my GPS won't get a lock (Brand new BU-353), my steering wheel controls which go into a IR reciver are slow and some of the buttons won't register, and my PCI SB Live with KX drivers has been finikey. So there a re mulitple little issues going on here. Today I installed a 1 Farad Rockford Fosgate capacitor for the PC. I have a seperate 4GA line from the battery for the sound system so that is independant of the PC. I have noticed no change with adding the capacitor.

In the monitor for my voltages the 5V rail fluctuates between 5.00 and 5.04.

The 12V rail is at 12.0 and may go to 12.3

I bought an M4 ATX which was a brick out of the box so I am sending that back.

My question here is can I isolate this to power issue? I want to make sure before I dump money I don't have into an Opus 320W or something. Is what I described above characteristic of low power?

to small PSU and the pc will not boot, get it wrong in a big way and the PSU will blow.

If it is borderline you will probably find it reboots when under high load.
    My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
    NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

while the m2 puts out a maximum of 160 watts, the processor consumes 125 watts at full load. Adding all of those components to the PSU, is a recipe for disaster. Something will eventually blow, or go up in smoke.

Tax the system long enough, the capacitor may help you get there sooner rather than later.
      Check out my CARPC: Project Diamond Plate

Quick Reference:
      CPU Electrical Specs
      Power Supply Calculator

Video Connections for newbies
      Temperature Converter
      Voltage Calculator

Comment

you should definitely get a low tdp chip in there to replace that desktop hog. i too could use a dual-core play-any-game chip but i run a celeron 35w processor and it suits me more then fine. a hell of a lot better then some itx setup thats for sure

Comment

I hope this question was a joke
          Progress,.... that is what I keep forgetting ;)
          planning_[++++++++++]. 110%
          parts___[++++++----] around 60%
          install___[-----------] -9,000%

Comment

Originally posted by Haystack View Post
            I hope this question was a joke
            Wow there champ, I guess I should feel bad or something. No it wasn't a joke. I know i am pushing it. I wondering why the damn thing runs fine but some aspects do not. Just because it's a 125w processor doesn't mean it's consuming that at all times. It actually runs at 0 to 1% when running RR and music. When I was running my Jetway with an integrated 2.0GHZ VIA C7 I still had some similar problems. If yer on here to act like you're god to a bunch of un known forum dwellers then I feel bad for you. If you didn't have any suggestions you should have kept you're smart a^& mouth shut. Thank you to all who considered my question and tried to help. That's what we do here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougw133 View Post
              Wow there champ, I guess I should feel bad or something. No it wasn't a joke. I know i am pushing it. I wondering why the damn thing runs fine but some aspects do not. Just because it's a 125w processor doesn't mean it's consuming that at all times. It actually runs at 0 to 1% when running RR and music. When I was running my Jetway with an integrated 2.0GHZ VIA C7 I still had some similar problems. If yer on here to act like you're god to a bunch of un known forum dwellers then I feel bad for you. If you didn't have any suggestions you should have kept you're smart a^& mouth shut. Thank you to all who considered my question and tried to help. That's what we do here.
              if you are thinking of future expansion- upgrade the psu to an Opus 320...you should be fine.

Quick Reference:
              CPU Electrical Specs
              Power Supply Calculator

Temperature Converter
              Voltage Calculator

Comment

desktop dual core processing power is just not needed in a car... Get a smaller more efficient mini-itx board, it'll be better for your cars electrics, the battery and alternator, and will also use less fuel. Don't forget in car, electricity is made from burning fuel! More leccy means more $$, and all it will do is make more heat and noise. Oh and don't forget the space used up too.
                My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
                NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

If it is running but the PSU is 'undersized,' it could shorten the life of the PSU. It all depends on exactly how you are overdrawing the supply. You may be using more power on one rail than the PSU is rated for even though the total wattage of the setup is below the max output of the PSU. Have you used one of the power calculators to figure the draw?

In the short run, I'd at least take the screen off of the PSU and connect it to the car itself.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by dmand View Post
                    if you are thinking of future expansion- upgrade the psu to an opus 320...you should be fine.
                    ^x2

Comment

Originally posted by ShawJohn View Post
                      desktop dual core processing power is just not needed in a car...
                      I wouldn't go so far as to say that exactly! I just found an AMD 64+ 2.2Ghz X2 CPU that I'll be using to replace my single core 2Ghz...(OPUS 320 power)

I'm running 2 Xonar sound cards, thru AudioMulch, with active crossover (+ delay + EQ) outputed thru 11 channels and sampling at 24-bit and 96 to 192Khz, depending on whether it's just lossless CD audio, SACD or DVD-A...
                      I can SQUEAK by at 96Khz, but 192Khz needs all the CPU I can give it...

Also, I've gone thru two M4 PSU's (and a M2) and they just weren't up to the challege I guess...or they were just garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                        If it is running but the PSU is 'undersized,' it could shorten the life of the PSU. It all depends on exactly how you are overdrawing the supply. You may be using more power on one rail than the PSU is rated for even though the total wattage of the setup is below the max output of the PSU. Have you used one of the power calculators to figure the draw?

In the short run, I'd at least take the screen off of the PSU and connect it to the car itself.
                        I understand a "Desktop" dual core may be over kill but I had it laying around. I don't see how this is so bad. If I was utilizing 75% of the load all the time then I would see where we could have a problem.

I already took as much off the PSU's shoulders as I could in the meantime until MP3car.com takes my bum M4 back. So the screen is off. It's pretty lines but it's off the PSU.

When I usded a power calculator the recommendation with the scenario operating the PSU under 50% was 193W PSU. So I am under powered at peak. I guess I am just used to something either working, or not. Thanks...

Comment

shawnjohn, there's nothing wrong with a desktop cpu in a car. Besides those low voltage cpus that you think are effecient were used in a desktop environment once apon a time. Furthermore, what you use might not be suitable for doug's requirements, and vise versa.
                          A dual core processor pulls what it needs, and doesn't draw it's maximum rated power all of the time. So it's great to have the extra power available when called upon. In the end, doug doesn't have to be concerned about needing a cpu upgrade any time soon, it was parts simply laying around. Just like my dual core setup.

Quick Reference:
                          CPU Electrical Specs
                          Power Supply Calculator

Temperature Converter
                          Voltage Calculator

Comment

Originally posted by dMand View Post
                            shawnjohn, there's nothing wrong with a desktop cpu in a car. Besides those low voltage cpus that you think are effecient were used in a desktop environment once apon a time. Furthermore, what you use might not be suitable for doug's requirements, and vise versa.
                            A dual core processor pulls what it needs, and doesn't draw it's maximum rated power all of the time. So it's great to have the extra power available when called upon. In the end, doug doesn't have to be concerned about needing a cpu upgrade any time soon, it was parts simply laying around. Just like my dual core setup.
                            Thats my thoughts exactly. The most that CPU ever got to was 8%. I bought my C7 Jetway board 1 year ago when everyone here said 2.0GHZ was overkill for a Carputer. I found after 6 months it was under powered and not to my taste. It will onyl be a matter of time before everyone on here is buying boards with integrated dual cores and such. Thanks for the opinion though, it's something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougw133 View Post
                              Thats my thoughts exactly. The most that CPU ever got to was 8%. I bought my C7 Jetway board 1 year ago when everyone here said 2.0GHZ was overkill for a Carputer. I found after 6 months it was under powered and not to my taste. It will onyl be a matter of time before everyone on here is buying boards with integrated dual cores and such. Thanks for the opinion though, it's something to consider.
                              I just got through looking at Jetway jnc62k. It's an awesome mini-ITX board board, capable of quad core computing. You've got a great foundation for that processor.

Quick Reference:
                              CPU Electrical Specs
                              Power Supply Calculator

Temperature Converter
                              Voltage Calculator

Comment

Working...
                              X