Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaycar DC-DC PSU?

Hi all,

I'm building my first Car PC up to buying a power supply... I have looked at the M3-ATX or similar, but they are very expensive to get here in NZ ($2-300 or more!) so I've turned to this one from Jaycar.

Link: https://secure.vividcluster.crox.net...Max=&SUBCATID=

They say on the box it takes 12V DC input typical (+/- 5% recommended) but the guy in the store reckons it should be fine when the car is running. Also, the +12V output is up to 12A but it says it is a switched input - will this be fine for a motherboard and HDD, or will I need to put in a 12v regulator before the PSU and regulate any voltage spikes this way?

Thanks.

Without seeing or knowing what the max rating is, I would say use a regulator as it wont hurt and see if it works that way. The reason why it is so cheap is it does not have the other features like crank protection/reboot.

Our jaycar here in Aus/Darwin does not have them so i think i might be ordering two of them soon.... Cheers for the find.
    2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
    Base System = Raspberry Pi
    Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

Comment

I bought one of these the other day and tried it out - no 12v regulation so... back to looking at the M3-ATX!

Comment

Im guessing your mean on the 12v input? Why not simple put a regulator on it?
        2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
        Base System = Raspberry Pi
        Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

Comment

I asked the Jaycar guy for a 12v regulator, and he kept pointing me towards the car laptop adaptors that gave out 15v or more... so I kind of gave up on that idea.

Might go for an inverter till I can afford an M3-ATX, as I have a friend interested in my old P80RS and the funds from that can buy my touchscreen

Comment

Working...
          X