No announcement yet.

Wire & fuse size for 360W psu?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire & fuse size for 360W psu?

What size wire should I use for the Opus 360W psu? The psu itself uses 3x16awg wires for 12v input. I've got a 12awg solid copper cable (used for wiring houses) that I'm planning on using, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough. Also, what size fuse should I put in line with the battery? I've seen 20A for 150W, but I haven't seen anything said for any higher. The psu has a 30A fuse onboard; should I just use another one of those? Is there a good way to tell what size wire for what amperage, and what amperage for total input; or is it all just guess & check? Thanks.

You should go with the same size fuse that is on the PSU, maybe a little bit smaller if you don't plan on using the psu's full potential.

For wire size look at the 12 volt table here:
    My Nearly Complete Car:

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)

I am using an 8Guage wire with that psu. Nevertheless, the wire rating calls for the use of a 10guage wire @ 8feet in length maximum, or 8 gauge @ 15 feet of wire max.
      Check out my CARPC: Project Diamond Plate

Quick Reference:
      CPU Electrical Specs
      Power Supply Calculator

Video Connections for newbies
      Temperature Converter
      Voltage Calculator

Perfect! Thanks Paul.

For thread preservation, the suggested wire gauge is 10awg @ 8 feet, 8awg @ 15 feet.

beat me to it dmand ;-)