Shuttle X27D power supply?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuttle X27D power supply?

I've been looking at the X27D (Dual-core Atom), and I'm curious as to whether there's a good DC-DC power supply or if I'll have to go with an inverter. The computer comes with an external AC-DC converter with a standard plug that I would guess delivers a plain +12V DC to the computer. Is there a DC-DC PS that will just give me a nice, steady +12V with all of the fancy power on/off controls, but without the standard ATX motherboard power connector? I believe the unit draws less than 100W.
    1999 SVT Contour

I realize the DSX12VD would work, but it's $85 and I'm cheap. Is there a cheaper solution, or will I be sacrificing quality/features?
    1999 SVT Contour

Comment

i'm looking into the x27d, i wanted to see how you hooked it up to the OPUS 150,

Comment

OPus 150 is an ATX power supply.
        It connects just like any other ATX power supply, only the electricity is supplied by the car battery instead of a wall outlet.

Read the Opus 150 manual, and it explains exactly how to hook it up.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
          OPus 150 is an ATX power supply.
          It connects just like any other ATX power supply, only the electricity is supplied by the car battery instead of a wall outlet.

Read the Opus 150 manual, and it explains exactly how to hook it up.
          The trick isn't plugging the PS into the motherboard, it's getting it connected to a motherboard in a case that already has its own power supply. Here's how I did it:

I clipped the power wires going to the drives and connected them to the proper leads on the new PS-to-MB connector. I trimmed a hole in the side of the Shuttle's case to fit the ATX connector through, and dremeled down all of the sharp edges. I wrapped the PS-to-MB connector tightly in electrical tape to make it more compact. I unplugged the Shuttle's front panel connector from the MB and attached the OPUS's power lead across pins 6 and 8. It starts up and shuts down perfectly, and the drive caddy fits with the top on just right.
          1999 SVT Contour

Comment

thanks that's exactly what i was wanting to know.

Comment

For what it's worth, I opted to go with a startup/shutdown controller and make use of the Shuttle's 12V power supply. Obviously either system works fine, but the shutdown controller is a lot smaller than tacking on a full automotive power supply. You could even fit that sucker inside of your case (I kept mine out for easier access).

Comment

Working...
              X