Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I power Carnetix 2140 from my capacitor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I power Carnetix 2140 from my capacitor?

I have a 1 farad capacitor in the trunk of my jeep liberty which powers my mono block amp for my subs, and my 4 channel amp for my highs. Can I also run my Carnetix 2140 from this as well? Or do I need to create some sort of direct connection straight to the battery?

I would think it would be fine as long as it's receiving a good supply of juice.

Comment

Thanks Rg,

I think my problem is that I do not have a large enough wire running to my carnetix from the cap. Which gauge would you suggest?

Comment

carnetix will output max 160W, i'd say 8 or even 12 gauge should be enough...look at the power wire harness o the carnetix, wires pretty thin...
        Sig, smig...

Ford Flex Toshiba Excite 7.7 Install

CoverMess - Cool Flash Covers

FlashFlex - Flash Components for your skinning pleasure

Mazda Millenia, Road Runner

YouTube - Road Runner, IGO8 PC, Dashcommand OBD, Visteon HD Radio

Comment

First of all, that capacitor doesn't truly power anything.
          It simply provides additional power in case the amp(s) draw more current than is available form the battery.

Considering your audio setup, if you feel the need for a capacitor for your amplifiers, I would wire the P2140 straight to the battery and allow the capacitor to provide additional juice for the amps only.

12awg should work for the Carnetix, as long as the run isn't too long. 10awg would be pretty much bulletproof. Anything larger would get a bit difficult to work with.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Thanks Darque. I knew that the cap doesn't provide power but I wasn't sure if I could use it as a distribution block for the Carnetix or no. I have decided just to create a direct run from the battery instead to make it a sure thing.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

The only think you should use as a distribution block is...
              well...
              a distribution block.
              How about the Wiki?

Comment

Dumb question...I am desperately trying to sort out some very odd USB issues. The only thing left I can figure is a power issue. I had a 500K (1/2 Farad) capacitor lying around a while back and threw it in before my distribution block for my PC and HD radio. I understand this isn't a battery or power source however, could it have negative impacts on my system>?

Comment

Nice threadjack Doug...
                  How about the Wiki?

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                    Nice threadjack Doug...
                    Well I figured it was on topic. If that's a "Threadjack" then I am truly sorry. Forget it

Comment

Look at the thread title.
                      The OP was wanting to know about powering a PSU from his capacitor.
                      How does your odd USB issue in any way relate to the topic of this thread, other than you both have capacitors installed?

Honestly...
                      A matching keyword doesn't make it on-topic, man.
                      How about the Wiki?

Comment

Lol. Well to answer your question a bit I got it resolved, and I do run my Carnetix from my Cap and it works fine. Although I wouldn't recommend running a ton of things from the Cap, especial if you thump your bass (which I do not). It

Comment

Working...
                        X