Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power to noncarputer device

Hi all,

Awesome forums. I've tried doing a search, but have failed as most of the talk on here is for carputers. Also, the lingo is unfamiliar, so doesn't make life any easier.

I want to install a western digital media player to my car so i could plug in a usb stick with mp3s and movies. However, the player is powered via 3 prong plug.

What's my best option to power this up safely? I was leaning toward a power inverter, but maybe there are better solutions out there.

thanks in advance,

mike

3 prong plug, as in 120V AC plug??
    It probably runs into a transformer and most likely runs on 12V...
    Do you have any pics?

Comment

sorry. Lied completely, just opened the box.

2 prongs,

Input: 100-240V~ 50-60Hz, 0.5A Max
      Output: 12V - 1.5A

Comment

Originally posted by yungwunn911 View Post
        sorry. Lied completely, just opened the box.

2 prongs,

Input: 100-240V~ 50-60Hz, 0.5A Max
        Output: 12V - 1.5A
        Those Input/Output readings are on the power brick, right? Since it's running off of 12 volts, you could probable get by with cutting at the "X" (if this is somewhat like your configuration):

[device]=========X======[brick]=========={ (<---plug)

...then soldering the two wires you cut to a dc outlet in your dash. It is very important that you know which wire is which (+ vs. -) and to solder them accordingly. You may need to bust out a multimeter to make sure...also perhaps wait for some other replies, as I don't want to be held responsible for any mishaps

Comment

Originally posted by Meltz014 View Post
          Those Input/Output readings are on the power brick, right? Since it's running off of 12 volts, you could probable get by with cutting at the "X" (if this is somewhat like your configuration):

[device]=========X======[brick]=========={ (<---plug)

...then soldering the two wires you cut to a dc outlet in your dash. It is very important that you know which wire is which (+ vs. -) and to solder them accordingly. You may need to bust out a multimeter to make sure...also perhaps wait for some other replies, as I don't want to be held responsible for any mishaps

That's a fairly bad idea, car power is unregulated and very dirty... You're gonna get between as low as 9 volts (on cranking) up to 14-16 volts at peak, so if the device isn't expecting this (which it likely isn't, as it has a power brick) you could burn something up.
          "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
          RevFE
          My Shop

Comment

Maybe find a cig-lighter adapter and splice into it...I think they at least have some sort of regulation...

Comment

ciould anyone tell me the approx wattage that this product will use? is it 18W? so i should get a 100W max power inverter? thanks!

Comment

Get a DC/DC regulator, not an inverter

Go to Radio Shack and get a cigarette power charger that fits the device and provides 1.5A at 12V. More amps is fine, less will cause problems. Your device does not draw much power.

Most inverters, that is the cheap ones (under $100), may introduce noise into the system due to ground loop problems.

Just my 2 cents and personal experience...

Comment

Yeah, inverter is overkill for something like that...

Comment

Originally posted by Thefdog View Post
                    Go to Radio Shack and get a cigarette power charger that fits the device and provides 1.5A at 12V. More amps is fine, less will cause problems. Your device does not draw much power.

Most inverters, that is the cheap ones (under $100), may introduce noise into the system due to ground loop problems.

Just my 2 cents and personal experience...
                    Get a DC adaptor from Radio Shack that has a plug that fits your device. It doesn't draw much power (about 18 watts), so a 2 or 3 amp plug is all you need.
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

i want it to be permanent and use daily, so would that present a problem using the dc adapter so much?

Comment

i want it to be permanent and use daily, so would that present a problem using the dc adapter so much?
                        bump

also, I passed by radioshack and they had a DC adapter, 12v but rated for 1300mA. Would this be the same as 1.3A? if so, i dont think thats enough, but thats the highest amperage they had!

Comment

bump

also, I passed by radioshack and they had a DC adapter, 12v but rated for 1300mA. Would this be the same as 1.3A? if so, i dont think thats enough, but thats the highest amperage they had!
                          That is correct, but it might work just fine. The power drawn by the device must be less than the maximum the supply can provide (1.5) it might be much lower than 1.5A like say 1.2A. In my experience AC power bricks are usually way more than needed. Example my pc's AC brick is rated at 7.6A but the most the pc draws is 4.2A.

You could try the RadShack piece - see if it works then return it if it does not.

Just save your receipt.

Comment

Working...
                          X