No announcement yet.

How to connect laptop to Carnetix 2140?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to connect laptop to Carnetix 2140?

I have my carnetix 2140 and my gateway p6a6 laptop with its PA-1650-01 power brick and I can't get it to be powered via the carnetix.

Well silly me, not understanding electricity right away I noticed the INPUT on the AC adapter is 100-240v ~ 1.5a but the OUTPUT is 18v-20v, 3.16A-3.42A

So now I have a carnetix which can only output 20V max on it's main line. I guess I have a few questions then.

1) Where would you find a laptop brick that could operate on just 20V (considering this one needs 100-240v and it's certainly not a beast of a machine)

2) Is my best bet at this point to look into an inverter instead, or a laptop/dc power supply?

I'm not getting it. The laptop requires any voltage between 18v and 20v DC. The Carnetix outputs 20v. It's a match. You should be able to power the laptop from the 2140.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

That's what I initially though as well Bug.

Maybe i'm not getting something here though (and I'm not the greatest with electricity, so I wouldn't doubt it )

The power brick says it requires 100-240v of input, and outputs 18v-20v,
      so shouldn't I need 100-240v from the carnetix to the power brick then?

Comment

If you want to use the brick and need 100-240v in, its probably AC. In that case you need an inverter to convert 12vdc directly from the battery to AC to supply the brick, skipping the Carnetix. The brick simply won't work from a low DC voltage.

Bugbyte is suggesting you leave the brick out and run the laptop directly from the Carnetix.

Comment

Alan you can do that?

If so, how? That is what I planned on doing anyway (running the laptop from the carnetix, that is) If I can just skip the brick completely I'm all for it.

As it is, I have the detachable cord from the brick snipped where it would originally plug into a wall outlet. I have it split into Ground and + leads.

Comment

How do I connect my laptop to Carnetix 2140?

I've been looking for quite a while now, on the forums as well as google on how to connect these two together. If possible, I am looking to skip using the power brick completely. Most importantly I am looking for a picture of some sort so I know exactly where to snip the laptop cable. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Have you looked through the Carnetix forums yet?

http://www.carnetix.com/forum/

Comment

yes I have, but the manual as well as the forums aren't too descriptive. They both simply say something along the lines of "connect the primary 20v and primary ground to the laptop."

It is very vague as a number of people on the forums have pointed out. What part of the laptop cable? I have the detachable cable cut and the positive and negative leads exposed, but I can't get any power to laptop or power brick from the carnetix.

Do I need the power brick? The input is 100-250v (If I remember correctly off hand), where the input for the laptop itself is only 18.5-20v.

If I don't need the brick then what is its purpose?

Should I just snip the wire from the bring which plugs directly to the laptop, and use those power and ground leads to the carnetix?

Comment

The power brick is where the conversion from AC to DC occurs. So, you won't need it in the car as the output from the Carnetix is DC. You need a wire that goes from bare leads (positive and negative) to whatever barrel connector your laptop needs. Make sure you set the output voltage on the Carnetix to whatever your laptop needs.

Comment

Right, skip the brick. The Carnetix IS the brick. Connect the + from the Carnetix to the + of the laptop cable. This is the part that comes AFTER the brick and plugs into the laptop. Connect the grnd, or minus, from the Carnetix to the ground of the laptop cable.

If you aren't getting power out of the Carnetix, check the jumper settings. It can be tricky. Also, make certain that your are triggering the Carnetix properly. You need +, -, and you also need to connect + to the Carnetix's accessory wire. That is what signals it to turn on.
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:

Comment

Threads merged as they are the same topic and OP. Don't double post.
                      Want to:

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                        Right, skip the brick. The Carnetix IS the brick. Connect the + from the Carnetix to the + of the laptop cable. This is the part that comes AFTER the brick and plugs into the laptop. Connect the grnd, or minus, from the Carnetix to the ground of the laptop cable.
                        It's just like our Mac Mini's, the only tricky part is the auto turn on and there are tutorials on how to do it on a laptop.

Comment

Sorry Bug, I didn't mean to cross post like that, but I felt this title would get a better/more responses.

Also, thanks a lot for the response. As I suspected I can just skip the brick completely and use the cable straight from the laptop. Google combinations like "Carnetix to laptop" and visa versa and you'll see what i mean about not being able to find a clear photo/description of what to do.

My Carnetix is providing ample power as tested via the multimeter, so I'll try this out when I get home.

Comment

http://www.carnetix.com/installation...anual_V1_2.pdf Look at page 14 in the manual. Connect the red to the + on the plug and the black to the grnd on the plug.

Note there are duplicate red and blacks. You can safely combine both wires together, then solder them to the laptop cable. Get some heat shrink tubing from Radio Shack and slip it over the wire before connecting the for a nice, professional look.

Here's a nice guide on how to splice wires.

If it is a barrel-type connector for the laptop, the outside is USUALLY for ground.

Edit - changed title of thread for OP.
                            Want to:

Comment

It worked great! Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X