EPIA-M with OPUS and USB stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPIA-M with OPUS and USB stuff

I will be getting my PS back from Kris on Tuesday but I have one major concern. The EPIA-M supplies power to the USB ports even when the system is shutdown. Do any of you have any ideas on preventing this from happening? I am going to have about 4 USB devices and don't want them sucking on my car battery 24-7 (I know the power supply should kick off before the battery is totally dead, but this is still bad for the battery).

Thanks
    Take a look at my CarPC

A switch would let you control it manually ( I bet you already thought of that)

Maybe the 12 v power line gets turned off by the egintion (sp?)

Like original equipment radio installs.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Shouldn't the usb ports being fed power be a function of the motherboard and not the opus?
      -Nick

Comment

doesnt the epia have some sort of an option in the BIOS for this ?

makes no sens to me why the epia should do this...

Richardl...
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes, it is a problem (for me) with the mother board. I could solve it with a switch, but that beats the purpose of the Opus. I hope I can chane something in the bios (other than turning USB off)!
          Take a look at my CarPC

Comment

How about a powered USB hub wired to the OPUS. When the opus shuts down the Hub turns off and your device will get little or no power.
            2004 F350 Ext. Cab
            System not reinstalled in it yet

Comment

And are you sure that the devices are still getting full (100-500ma) power after the system is off? And are we talking off off? or just standby/hibernate/etc? After reading the usb spec, devices are allowed 500ua for remote wakeup, and high powered devices are allowed 2.5ma durring suspend.
              -Nick

Comment

All I know is theat the LEDs on my wireless nic and keypad stay on even when the system is shutdown. On my desktop the LEDs turn off.
                Take a look at my CarPC

Comment

There is an option in the BIOS of the epia m that allows you to resume on a usb event. If you disable this I would think that would cut the power to USB devices.

Comment

az1324,

Great idea! I already tried that (still have the bios set up that way) but no luck!
                    Take a look at my CarPC

Comment

I am going to have to figure something out for sure. Look how bright this USB display is when my computer is off!

Take a look at my CarPC

Comment

Well, I solved my problem. I got a mini powered USB 2.0 hub. I am powering it with a 5v connection to the OPUS. Now when I shutdown the computer the hub turns off and my USB stuff doesn't get power!
                        Take a look at my CarPC

Comment

when you power the computer back on, do all your devices work ok?
                          BossTone74

Comment

I just got my OPUS and started testing with the Epia-M.

I am finding that even when the computer is off, there is a ~150mA draw on the 12v input. If I unplug the motherboard from the Opus, this drops to around 6mA (11mA if the LED's flash).

In this test, I don't have any USB devices plugged in. If the computer is off, and not in standby mode, there should be no power usage by the motherboard.

Has anyone else noticed this? How did you fix it?

Comment

really so usb peripherals would be "ON" when the car is off?
                              Why would they make the motherboard like that. Anyhow I used a relay inbetween the <12v> ~~> relay ~~~> opus.

Thay way its always off with the car and never saps even the little 0.000001 A of Current.
                              Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

Working...
                              X