Can I even do this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I even do this?

I have a chopped 1990 Honda Accord stock alternator, large truck battery, 2 farad capacitor, 1800 watt 2 channel powering 2 rockford 10" he2 dual voice coil subs, 680 watt four channel powering 4 6"x9"s.
    I am wanting to remove the 6x9's and bridge to 2 PA speakers, on top of this I want to add a 2500 watt inverter for lights and other attachments. I also have another 18 farad capacitor that I am going to install.
    Here is a pic to answer the questions you may already have as to why I am doing this.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
    Should i look at a high output alternator, or is there anything else that I should be addressing?

Your kidding, right??

Comment

no

I know it may sound silly, i have not done much of this before what things am i going to need to consider here.

Comment

Def need a bigger alternator.

Comment

I think he's kidding. It's like asking if you need wheels on your car or if you can just slide it down the street.
          Ampie Case
          2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
          256 MB DDR2 PC5400
          Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
          Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
          M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

You need a HUGE alternator to run that setup. At max volume and max power on the inverter, that's about 380 amps!

A stock alternator is around 100 amps.

Good luck finding an alternator that can do anything like that. You might even need to modify the car and put two alternators in there.
            My Nearly Complete Car:
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
            http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
            http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

Just checking

I am serious, sorry if it's a silly question, i have not done much of this in the past. I did have it setup before with the two amps 1800 and 640 watt and a 2 farad cap with only a 300 watt inverter.
              See video:
              [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZSHCB8QWMk[/media]
              It worked i may not of gotten full power but it was still enough to blow out the 6x9's. The car is a manual so every once and a while i would hit the clutch and rev the engine to get the read out on the cap up to around 12 again.
              Now that i am adding the 2500 watt inverter i figured i would need to improve the power supply in some way, it will be running at about 1/2 - 3/4 for now but may be more later. Just wanted to know what would be the best way to go about it. a larger alternator or two makes sense just wanted to check before i invest and none of my friends are into this so i came here.
              Would anyone know about bridging the 640 watt 4 channel amp into two PA speakers, or would i be better off putting two pa speakers on the 1800 watt amp and dropping the subs off of the setup?
              Any other help would be appreciated too.

Comment

That's some ****ed up **** right there! lol

Comment

Are you running for sound pressure level or sound quality level? I just want to know if you realize how terrible it's going to sound or if I have to explain it to you.......and I might have to YELL REALLY LOUD TO DO IT.
                  Ampie Case
                  256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                  M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

pressure v. quality

I would like to focus on pressure while keeping some quality. What would you do with this setup? Should I get powered PA speakers on the inverter or un powered and run off the 640 amp or the 1800 amp and put the subs on the 640??
                    I understand this is not generally what you would see on this site and I don't know much, but really anything would help.
                    Thanks

Comment

What would I do? I'd keep everything below 500 watts RMS with 2 10 inch dual voice coil subwoofers rated the same and a proper D class competition amplifier. That will give you the best quality and the D class amp will also give you piles of sound pressure for competition but you're not going to win DB drags with that setup. So it depends on if you want to win trophies or listen to it cleanly. And if you try and mix the 2, you'll just end up butchering both......you won't be happy with the quality and you'll only barely win some small shows at best.

The quality of the amplifiers you have is the most important part of your system. People think it's the kind of sub they buy but it's not. I'd bet that 1800 watt amplifier is a peak rating and it's probably 400 watts or so RMS which is really not good and probably puts it as a A/B class amplifier at best. That means it's a really low quality power signal with a lot of noise and distortion in it and feeding that into your system is just going to tear it up. You need to send a cleaner signal into your system from a D class amp where the RMS rating is at least half of the peak rating.

If you've ever built a computer and bought a tower that comes with one of those ****ty power supplies, you must know that you'd never plug that thing into your motherboard. It has really dirty power signals and will fry your board in a year or less. You need a really good PSU from a reputable company that will deliver stable clean power to your board and it'll last longer and perform better.
                      Ampie Case
                      256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                      M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

no shows

This will never be in any shows, just a festival out in the middle of the desert each year. The 1800 watt is a rockford 300 watt rms. Dont want to get a new amp because this may only last a couple more years out there with all the dust.
                        Would you know if i can plug in two PA speakers to the 640 watt amp? These are the speakers:
                        http://www.audio-discounters.com/pphp-1259.html
                        Once again not looking to win any shows.
                        As for the alternator or lack there of would i be better adding another stock alt. or swapping for high output. i know i wont hit the 380 amps that the equation says. But i was not at that last year and i was happy with the results.
                        Would you have any other quick tips that would help clean up the signal and power source?
                        Thanks Again

Comment

Originally posted by WuNgUn View Post
                          That's some ****ed up **** right there! lol
                          HAHAHAHAHA, I laughed so ******* hard that I literally stopped breathing. OMFG, im crying. So Im guessing this is a car for the running man or is it burning man thing in what ever desert it is.
                          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                          X