Pico power supply question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pico power supply question

So for the time being my power supply is fried and I'm looking for an inexpensive replacment until I can afford something really nice. I was looking at the pico ones, but noticed they have a dc 2.5mm jack. I looked on line for more pics and ebay I noticed it plug into a power brick and into the wall 120v.
    Can I wire this directly into my car and bypass the power brick?

Any other cheap solutions?

Most of those require regulated 12V input, they do not regulate the 12V on the PSU. The M3-ATX does regulate the 12V and can be used as-is in the car.

Comment

The m3 is $80. Can't I use something less expensive for temp use?
      I have a dsx12vd which is brand new, however my motherboard the epia-m10000 (something something something) doesn't use the 4 pin input. Unless there is a way to change that.

Comment

Sounds like you could connect the car to the dsx12vd, then the output of that to one of the Pico-PSUs.

Comment

Can I do that? That would be great! The dsx12vd only has the 4pin wire though and the pico psu has the 20 or 24pin.

Comment

No, from the sound of it, you plug the pico psu into the mb and use the dsx to supply the needed 12V to the pico psu.
            Pico-ITX / XP Home with EWF-HORM / RR v12/02/2009 / Winamp v5.13 / RRMedia v1.2.2

Comment

As far as I can tell, yes, you can do that. You would need to hack up the 4-pin cable (or get another to hack up) and get a connector for the DC-in on the Pico-PSU, connect the positive wires from the 4-pin to the positive on the DC-in and ground to ground, and connect your car to the dsx12VD.

Comment

I can see how that would work. Yellow is 12v anyway and the picopsu takes 12v input. Now I just gotta find one. I want it like yesterday lol

Comment

Looking at the 12vd it appears there is a .25inch spade connector that also outputs 12v. That can carry more current.

Plug the pico psu into the m10000 and supply the pico with power from the 12vd to regulate the supply.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Thanks bug, I'll go that route then, but where do you see a spade connector?
                    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Comment

Originally posted by MAZDABOY View Post
                      Thanks bug, I'll go that route then, but where do you see a spade connector?
                      http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1
                      Just above the the GND, ACC, +12V terminal block.
                      Pico-ITX / XP Home with EWF-HORM / RR v12/02/2009 / Winamp v5.13 / RRMedia v1.2.2

Comment

Wow, never noticed that. So use that for 12v output and the black wire from the P4 (4pin) for ground then?

Comment

Well I said screw it and bought one off ebay for $35 shipped. Also ordered a ide to CF bootable adapter and an 8gb CF card to replace the hard drive.

Does anyone know if I can run centrafuse with a version of linux? I'd like to eliminate windows.

Comment

Check the Linux forum, but it appears that Centrafuse does not run in WINE.

Comment

Do you mean windows 9x?

Comment

Working...
                              X