Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outside computer booting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Outside computer booting

    I am using a Dell desktop that I have taken apart and made a custom case for. I have wired everything together and I am using the power supply from the desktop. I have removed the on/off switch and am using that.

    When I first attempted to turn the PC on, I did not have the case closed switch depressed and now I get a blinking yellow light by the on/off switch.

    Does this mean the power supply is gone? I know that is what is usually what the problem is when you get a blinking yellow on/off switch in a dell.


  • #2
    this happened to my computer at work, and i'm sad to report that the PS died, if you're lucky and you're still under warranty they'll replace it, if not just make sure that you don't have one of the dell proprietary connections and then buy a regular PS
    Scion CarPC

    Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

    How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

    Comment


    • #3
      I assume you used a power inverter? and you physically modded it? cuz theres no need if you have a decent inverter that stop pulling power when off, that is what you should run the relay to. here is a great place to get good cheap psu's

      http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...Power-Supplies

      but i believe dells psu's are encrypted so im not 100% if any old psu will work you should contact dell and see if you can use a commercial brand psu to run there system

      Comment


      • #4
        Jitters333 -
        1 - Assuming is generally a bad idea. In this case, no mention was made of an inverter or even the PC being in the vehicle.
        2 - It is impossible for a PSU to be encrypted. Data gets encrypted and there is no data going to/from a PSU.

        ekgguy -
        A couple possibilities for the blinking LED:
        - HDD activity light blinking to indicate the HDD is being accessed, which is normal.
        - A warning to indicate chassis intrusion (the case is open). I've never seen a blinking light indicate this condition, as it's usually a message on-screen. Just a possiblity.

        If this is a setup for your vehicle, and if the Dell motherboard is ATX-compliant (some Dell models are not, which is what I think Jitters meant by "encryption"), I'd get a DC-DC PSU instead of another AC-DC unit. The DC-DC units are far more efficient and eliminate the need for an inverter.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?



        Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
          Jitters333 -
          1 - Assuming is generally a bad idea. In this case, no mention was made of an inverter or even the PC being in the vehicle.
          2 - It is impossible for a PSU to be encrypted. Data gets encrypted and there is no data going to/from a PSU.

          ekgguy -
          A couple possibilities for the blinking LED:
          - HDD activity light blinking to indicate the HDD is being accessed, which is normal.
          - A warning to indicate chassis intrusion (the case is open). I've never seen a blinking light indicate this condition, as it's usually a message on-screen. Just a possiblity.

          If this is a setup for your vehicle, and if the Dell motherboard is ATX-compliant (some Dell models are not, which is what I think Jitters meant by "encryption"), I'd get a DC-DC PSU instead of another AC-DC unit. The DC-DC units are far more efficient and eliminate the need for an inverter.
          No I'm not making things up! the psp is the same way. The psu is in fact encrypted/lock, there is even a mod on these very forums showing you how to get around that (dells, but its for one of there laptops) encryption or lock if you will
          and yes assuming is bad (*** of you me bah bah) but Obviously if he was not running and inverter he would in fact tell me so in his next post Thats why there is a ??? at the end of that comment.. there is no harm in that, god

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jitters333 View Post
            but i believe dells psu's are encrypted so im not 100% if any old psu will work you should contact dell and see if you can use a commercial brand psu to run there system

            This amused me greatly. Of course dell is going to say you can't use any other PSU than they sell (for a higher price) to power their system. They want to make money.

            I'm curious, what on a PSU could you possibly encrypt? The voltages? :P


            Edit: AH! Perhaps you are talking about the power supply identification that dell uses on their laptop chargers? The laptops still run with aftermarket chargers but they complain about it. Never heard of dell putting this in desktops.
            "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
            RevFE
            My Shop

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
              This amused me greatly. Of course dell is going to say you can't use any other PSU than they sell (for a higher price) to power their system. They want to make money.

              I'm curious, what on a PSU could you possibly encrypt? The voltages? :P
              ha seriously though I could swear I read something about encrypted psu's!
              whatever

              Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
              This amused me greatly. Of course dell is going to say you can't use any other PSU than they sell (for a higher price) to power their system. They want to make money.

              I'm curious, what on a PSU could you possibly encrypt? The voltages? :P


              Edit: AH! Perhaps you are talking about the power supply identification that dell uses on their laptop chargers? The laptops still run with aftermarket chargers but they complain about it. Never heard of dell putting this in desktops.
              BINGO.. hahaha wow

              Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
              I'm curious, what on a PSU could you possibly encrypt? The voltages? :P
              and thanks for not being a prick about it and giving me bad rep for making a mistake

              Comment


              • #8
                It's possible I suppose they started putting this on desktops, but I would assume it would still boot, it would just display a bios warning like the laptops do. Try a CMOS reset and keep the case intrusion switch depressed, it could be it's set not to boot if the case is opened?
                "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                RevFE
                My Shop

                Comment


                • #9
                  The idea of power signal communications to detect a specific PSU and encryption are two ENTIRELY different things.

                  Even so, I don't think it applies in this scenario based on this:
                  I am using a Dell desktop that I have taken apart and made a custom case for.
                  It's a desktop, not a laptop.
                  It could be due to chassis intrusion detection being set off from the original case being removed....
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?



                  Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    the PC is not in the vehicle. I was trying to boot it inside to ensure that everything worked. Brand new install.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
                      This amused me greatly. Of course dell is going to say you can't use any other PSU than they sell (for a higher price) to power their system. They want to make money.

                      I'm curious, what on a PSU could you possibly encrypt? The voltages? :P


                      Edit: AH! Perhaps you are talking about the power supply identification that dell uses on their laptop chargers? The laptops still run with aftermarket chargers but they complain about it. Never heard of dell putting this in desktops.
                      Dell got in trouble a couple years ago for not following the standards rules, they used an ATX connector but they moved the pins around, this made it so that only their PSUs would work, but when people started blowing PSUs and mobos lawsuits started to emerge, this is what i meant by making sure that it is compatible.

                      PS: i know from when my PSU died, i called dell they told me that it would take about 2 weeks from the moment they received my damaged PSU, so i told them that it was a work computer and i needed it working today and they told me that i could use aftermarket PSUs without problems
                      Scion CarPC

                      Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

                      How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X