X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagnosis MotherBoard OR PSU?

I have a Intel ATOM http://www.newegg.com/Product....N82E16813121360

And a M3-ATX 125 Watt PSU

PSU acts normal to me, but it when the MB gets signal to turn on.. the fan kicks on, USB-NO power, 5v & 12v No power and the MB refuses to turn off... unplug PSU from 12V

What is the issue?
    My Install: 2001 WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee (Ubuntu Mobile, Angel Eyes, Flowmaster 40)

I dont understand what you are saying...

You mean when you press the button, the mobo fans turn on, but probing the 5v and 12v rails with a multimeter you get 0v readings? That should be impossible since the mobo fans are running.

And "refuses to turn off", do you mean the fans? Do you get POST errors? Do you get it to POST?

I can't tell from your broken-logic post what is going on, what you have done, or what you expect it to do...
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I'm sorry the devices on the 5 and 12 rail don't have power and by turning it on I mean using a key to connect the connectors on the MB

I dont even get a video signal from the board
      My Install: 2001 WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee (Ubuntu Mobile, Angel Eyes, Flowmaster 40)

Comment

Originally posted by yam125 View Post
        I'm sorry the devices on the 5 and 12 rail don't have power and by turning it on I mean using a key to connect the connectors on the MB

I dont even get a video signal from the board
        Well that sounds like a memory or cpu problem to me. Since yours is integrated I would say RAM.

Easy way to tell is break out the multimeter and probe the power connectors.

Devices not turning on means diddly. Some (most of the new ones actually) require a command from the MB before they initialize to save power.
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Power connectors to what? Ram?

Comment

You can't probe the RAM power connectors, they are in the DIMM socket...

But you want to test things. So your standard molex connector has 2 grounds, a 5v lead, and a 12v lead. Probe between 5v and ground and then 12v and ground. If those are ok, I would assume the whole PSU is good. But to be thorough, you could jumper hack the ATX cable and probe all voltages including the 3.3v and such just to be sure.

My money is on RAM. Wrong type, speed, size, or density.

Comment

The ram is in spec for the board i've been using it and then all of a suddon it pooped out.

I wantedto find a somebody witha psu tester but I haven't been able to. I have to look up how to do the jumper bc I can't probe on this psu while it is connected

Comment

Originally posted by yam125 View Post
                No if been using it and all of a suddon it pooped out.
                well that is another useful tidbit you neglected to mention. If you want help, you need to lay out the details instead of us trying to do it 20 questions style...

Probe your PSU with a jumpered ATX cable, and see what the voltages are at.

Comment

When you probe it, it should be disconnected.

Jumper pin 14 (the turn on), to ground (any of them), and the PSU should turn on.

Comment

In addition, some details as to the specs of your system might help determine the problem.
                    Include the HDD formfactor and any/all USB devices connected.

It's very possible that there is more power draw than the M3 can provide.
                    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I tested with a DMM this morning, I only had time to test the rails, I'll jumper with the ATX cable later on today after work.

I got a full 12.20 v on the 12v (Yellow) rail and No life at all on the 5v rail I can guess that that is NOT good.

I know how the grounds work and I double checked the rails. [ o o o o | o x o x | x o x o ]

I have a 80gb toshiba labtop hard drive, Rosewill Bluetooth dongle, USB audio, wireless keyboard, liliput. The audio and liliput are pluggged in at the end of a 6ft usb cable/ with a 4 port hub.

Also a pccard, wireless network adapter.

also for the moment of diagnostics I have most if not all usb devices unplugged.

Comment

how did the memory pop out all by itself?
                        Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

Originally posted by Injector View Post
                          how did the memory pop out all by itself?
                          He didn't say the RAM popped out.
                          He said that the RAM was specc'ed to the board and the whole setup pooped out (as in crapped out or quit working).

The fact that you get squadoosh on the 5v rail is certainly the problem.
                          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                            He didn't say the RAM popped out.
                            He said that the RAM was specc'ed to the board and the whole setup pooped out (as in crapped out or quit working).

The fact that you get squadoosh on the 5v rail is certainly the problem.
                            LOL that's what i get for reading fast.
                            Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

So I need a new psu not a new mb

Comment

Working...
                              X