• Show
Clear All

• A few problems solved???

Car lighter socket to Cubid case PSU!

http://www.koolnquiet.co.uk/index.ph...id=19&start=11

A bargain!!

Majik

Hmm.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Cubid case already have a DC-DC converter? So this plug is really just an extension cord, right? It basically won't work for anyone unless they have a Cubid case [http://www.koolnquiet.co.uk/index.ph...=104&cat_id=32].

However, considering that the cases come with stuff... are they usable as a carputer? The AC-DC conversion (AFAIK) is done outside the case using the included PSU.

[edit]
    Which of course has been discussed before (but not limited to):
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ighlight=cubid
    No Carputer YET.
    A car I'm designing...

Comment

Heh, yeah, theres been a lot of discussion about the cubid motherboard as you've discovered. And it sounds like its just a cigarette plug with a properly sized barrel adapter (power cord), something you could make with parts from ratshack or any electronics store.
      -Nick

Comment

Am I being dim here? Lighter socket to cubid power supply (No brick needed) and car computer is powered. Full on DC-DC power for 40 notes?

Majik

Comment

For 4 dollars, it just looks to be plugs, and no regulation, so itd pass the ~14.5vdc from your cars alternator dirrectly to the cubid psu, which doesnt have a 12vdc rail, and simply uses the input, so instead of 12vdc, everything that uses 12vdc would get ~14.5vdc.
          -Nick

Comment

Hmmm...that thought occurred to me too. My point though is, why would they sell a product that could potentially destroy your system? I'm going to email them and find out more I think. WIll get back with results...

Majik

Comment

OKay - been searching round some more and turned this 12v regulator for cars from Maplins. My electronics is frankly awful - could it handle a Cubid or Morex power supply?

Majik

Comment

Originally posted by MajikNWA
                OKay - been searching round some more and turned this 12v regulator for cars from Maplins. My electronics is frankly awful - could it handle a Cubid or Morex power supply?

Majik
                That definately will NOT be enough.

-Mario

Comment

Thanks guys - just flinging ideas around. most appreciated!!!

Majik

Comment

I know that people have found some 12v 5a linear regulators out there, and I know they've been mentioned on this board too. The only problem with a simple linear regulator is that theres a voltage drop across it, so the car would probably need to be running (14vdc input). I think there have also been other circuts discussed on the board.
                    -Nick

Comment

I know it's not exactly an exact science, but I rang kool n quiet and chatted to the guy that sells the adaptors and he stated that most people that buy them do indeed use them for car pcs. He said that like most car chargers and adaptors (Nokia, PDA etc) it is recommended not to be used when starting the vehicle, but he also said that noone has had any problems doing so uding the adaptor with the 55w dc-dc PSU.

I think I may go for it and see what happens - it's cheap enough that even if it blows something, it'll be cheaper than splashing out on a opus or so (Yeah, so i'm a skinflint, okay?)

Majik

Comment

altho if something blows, itll likely take the psu, cpu and what ever else is hooked up to it.....
                        -Nick

Comment

Working...
                        X