Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still confused on DC/DC, Shutdown controllers, and STR... couple Qs please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still confused on DC/DC, Shutdown controllers, and STR... couple Qs please.

Ok I have been reading on here about shutdown controllers, DC>DC power supplies etc... I know exactly what I want my car/pc to do so I figured I would mention it on here and see what you all think would be my best options... because this is still a little confusing to me as I have never put a pc in a car, and I dont want to do it "half ***"

First of all, I am looking at the 250watt Keypower DC>DC PSU... My pc will basically consist of a 1ghz AMD, 256mb mem (or 512), GeForce2 GTS 64mb, SbLive, SCSI adapter/Plextor SCSI burner, 80 or 120gb HD, etc... basically close to the limit of the PSU, I know it will be enough though because I run 5hds on a 300watt w/ AMD and all that stuff inside plus a 2nd burner...

This is what I want!

I want a shutdown controller that will NOT shut down the pc, I need something that will trigger STR (suspend to ram), I read up on these shutdown controllers and I never see any specific stuff about STR or making it work with them... I know people do it but I havent seen its specifically explained EXACTLY how to do it automatically... I want my car to STR when the ignition is off, I want it to stay "on, but suspended" THE WHOLE TIME until I start the car (unless I power it off manually)... I dont want to have it boot up everytime the car comes on!

Most of these Shutdown controllers seem to have some 20 minute window or something where (by how im reading it) it will shut down no matter what after that point, I dont want that I want it to suspend... am I just confused here or what?

tell me EXACTLY what I should buy to get it to do exactly what I want it to do, because im not getting anywhere on my own really... I just want my pc to come back to life... same applications open, same mp3 playing, in under 10 seconds from when the car starts... less if possible.

Thanks a lot, sorry about the long message I really appreciate the help though.
    1993 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo (Silver)
    1994 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo (Black)
    SupraPC is currently in the works
    http://www.pooshda.com
    http://version6.pooshda.com

Does your motherboard have a STR button header? (So that you can push a button and trigger str from a button outside, not inside windows)

if it does, then you just need a timer that will connect the header for a short period of time when the acc line goes off, and reconnect it when it comes back on.

in my searching around, i found this circuit that will do what you want (at least it says it will, i havent built it yet):
    http://www.astron.nl/~smirnov/poweroff.html

instead of connecting it to your power button, you connect it to the STR button header.
    Project AutoBoxen: Coming along, almost ready to hook up in the car.
    Celeron 500, 192mb ram, 8gb hdd, other stuff.
    '91 Mazda 626: Its free, so ill use it.

Comment

STR will kill your battery if you don't use your car all weekend. If you have a beefy battery you may have a week. Some people might not even have more than a day.
      MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
      www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Im using STR, 1 week and 2 days are the longest interval i'we had my carputer in STR, battery still going strong.

My battery is not of the beefy kind, (50Ah)

EVERYONE ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT A COUPLE OF DAYS ?!

iwe measured it to 0.09A ... that will NOT kill you battery in a weekend, or a day...

Use STR, its the best thing you'll ever do to you carputer. You have no idea how great it is to have music playing within 8 sec's...

Richard
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the information, if anyone else has other information that would be helpful please dont hesistate to reply... I think my motherboard triggers STR through software somehow, not through the power button though... does anyone have a recommendation for an AMD socket a motherboard (duron, athlon tbird...) which will have this?

Im going to need to buy a new motherboard anyway, doesnt matter how large it is and I dont really need onboard audio or anything UNLESS ITS VERY GOOD QUALITY... then ****, might as well save myself the need for a sound card... onboard scsi might be nice too, because my burners are both scsi...

And about STR draining the batter, it wont be an issue... I drive my Supra daily in the summer and if I dont plan on driving it for a few days, I can simply just shut the pc down entirely

Thanks again..

Comment

On my setup, I'm using STR(3), such as what you're talking about. The problem I had, was getting something to simulate a power button press whenever the car came off/on so I could get it to go on suspend.

I built the following circuit for it:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dashpc...%20circuit.jpg

It's by Micheal Carr that hangs out on the dashpc groups there at yahoo. You may have to subscribe to the group in order to see that file.

The circuit works great. Whenever I turn my car on or off, the circuit detects the voltage from the 12v accessory line, and simply simulates a power button press to the motherboard. Car comes on, power pulse goes to the button headers on the motherboard. car turns off, another power pulse to the headers.

I use an EPIA 800 MB, and WindowsXP - XP is set up to go on standby whenever it see's the power button is pressed.

The result, 8 second boot time.

Mind you, this is only beneficial if you're using a DC-DC powersupply(of course). Powerdraw from the motherboard is around 700milliamps (eq. to powerdraw from your car radio for keeping it's presets stored).

I've gone a little less then a week without driving the car while the computer was in suspend the whole time, started up just fine. The battery still has a completely healthy charge.

You could easily buy a battery protector circuit that would automatically detect when the battery has drained to the point of no return and cut off the 12v line to the computer. But as it's obvious as several people here use STR - powerdrain isnt an issue.

It doesn't have any type of time delay, but you could easily add one to this circuit by just doing a search - there's been posted a few seperate circuits for simply just producing a time delay.
            Brian Cozzens
            Duke Nukem Forever / Max Payne
            www.3drealms.com

Comment

oooooor,

getting an opus.. fixes everything delays, simulated power off..

Richard
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
              Albert Einstein

Comment

I was under the impression the opus completely removes power from the system on shutdown?

Is it capable of not only sending the machine into STR. But also doesn't completely remove the power from the motherboard after it has done so?

Just from my brief glimpse at the Opus that was the impression I had of it, but I may be wrong.

No power after STR doesn't make it STR anymore.
                Brian Cozzens
                Duke Nukem Forever / Max Payne
                www.3drealms.com

Comment

it doesnt cut all the power, it still provides the RAM's of the power they need.

Richard
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Why do you want scsi and a burner in your carputer ?
                    [H]4 Life
                    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                    I'm a lesbian too.
                    I am for hire!

Comment

For the OPUS:

Pay attention to Q 3 & 5

DC-DC ATX Vehicle Power Supplies Frequently Asked Questions.

In this section we try to address the commonly asked questions associated with our range of
                      DC-DC Vehicle Power Supplies. If you do not find the answer to your question in this list then please contact us here so we can address your enquiries in person.

Q. What are the dimensions of the SFX-12-15 power supply without the enclosure?
                      A. The barebone board is 37mm (1.45") high, 123mm (4.85") long and 96mm (3.75") wide.

Q. Why is a Opus Solutions, Inc. DC-DC supply better than an inverter and AC-DC power supply?
                      A. Opus Solutions, Inc. DC-DC supplies are over 90% efficient. Using an AC inverter paired with a regular PSU to power your vehicle based computer system can be as low as 50% efficient - placing extra load on your car's electrical system. Inverters can also create a lot of electrical 'noise' which can seriously effect the performance of your equipment.

Q. How does the shut-down controller work?
                      A. The shut-down controller is controlled by monitoring the switched 12V line. When power is cut from the switched line (turning off your ignition) the shutdown controller sends an ATX pulse to the operating system to initiate your chosen shutdown mode(shutdown, hibernate, standby).

Q. Can I alter the amount of time the supply waits before initiating a shutdown command?
                      A. Yes. The delay between cutting the switched power and the ATX pulse being sent can be set to 10 seconds, 20 minutes, 40 minutes or 60 minutes using jumpers on the powerboard (factory default is set to 10 seconds).

Q. I want to use the hibernate option which requires a small amount of power, can I do this?
                      A. Yes. Because the DC-DC unit draws it's main power directly from the car battery, it still maintains the standby power requireb bya computer in hibernation mode.

Q. Will the supply protect my battery from being drained when the computer is running?
                      A. Yes. The Opus Solutions Inc. DC-DC power supplies have a built in low voltage sensor that will shutdown the computer to protect the life of your battery, should it get too low (depending on battery condition).

Q. Car batteries can have power spikes, is my Opus Solutions, Inc. DC-DC supply protected from this?
                      A. Yes. All Opus Solutions, Inc. DC-DC power supplies have built-in over-voltage protection and carry an onboard ATO (automotive blade fuse) to protect both the power supply and the computer connected to it.

Q. Will my computer reboot when I start the car (because of the drop in voltage)?
                      A. No. Because of the advanced circuit design built into every Opus Solutions, Inc. DC-DC supply your computer will continue to work for up to 10 seconds of continuous engine 'cranking'.

Q. Do Opus Solutions, Inc. Supplies come with a warranty?
                      A. Yes. All Opus Solutions, Inc. DC-DC power supplies come with a 3 year limited warranty. For more warranty information click here.
                      [H]4 Life
                      I'm a lesbian too.
                      I am for hire!

Comment

Sweet exactly what I wanted to hear thanks... and about the SCSI burner... I just want a burner period, its going to be in my un-used din slot hidden because my screen will be folded out in front of it 90% of the time... I make cds for friends a lot and I never end up remembering when they want one so I figure if I have a few blanks in the glove box I can knock off a cd in a parking lot or when we drive somewhere in 6 minutes and be done with it (also makes it easier to show them all my music on the spot without needing some huge list printed out).. I wont here "is my cd done yet" plus that should pay for gas easily... my car eats up like $10-$20/day in the summer because I like driving it...

Mainly just for convenience of making mix cds since my friends ask quite often and I like to be nice and help out... plus id like a cdrom drive period, its only a few watts more for a burner

I think I decided on the Opus 150watt PSU w/ built in controller btw... looks sweet and I calculated everything im using in my pc on a power consumption calc and it still has about 30 watts to spare.

Comment

Ok that's cool. The burner thing.

And on your wattage requirements, you probably have more headroom than that, cause that's if your using max power on everuthing at the same time
                          [H]4 Life
                          I'm a lesbian too.
                          I am for hire!

Comment

just thought I would say... nice car. I have one... torn apart...in the garage... for about a year now . I can't wait to get it driveable again. The urge to just install a PC in it now is overwhelming... but a garage PC (as in essence it would be) isn't too appealing to me right now

Comment

Originally posted by ddt
                              just thought I would say... nice car. I have one... torn apart...in the garage... for about a year now . I can't wait to get it driveable again. The urge to just install a PC in it now is overwhelming... but a garage PC (as in essence it would be) isn't too appealing to me right now

Well you wanted a "secure" car didn't you ? Sorry couldn't resist
                              [H]4 Life
                              I'm a lesbian too.
                              I am for hire!

Comment

Working...
                              X