Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Voltage Regulator Design (Including 12 and 5 volt Outlets)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Voltage Regulator Design (Including 12 and 5 volt Outlets)

Hello All

Having been out of the computer modding and carPC world for some time now, and just getting back into these areas after 5 or so years out of it all, thought I would post this for feedback and ideas

Current CarPC set up includes the following specs
    Sempron 2600+
    128mgt MX4000 AGP
    4Chann S/C
    54mbps WiFi
    1GB DDR400
    2x 80GB Sata HDD
    16x DVD Burner
    300w AC Power Supply

while looking at better options other than the standard DC-AC inverter, while i have no problems with it i would rather something nicer both to look at and something some what more hardwired as a permanent solution.

In looking for these things I decided to play with the idea of a high current Voltage regulator that serves not only to provide a clean, stable 12volt line, but that can also be used for addon peripherals. Hence why I included a 5volt line, for usb charge or even powering external USB hubs.

Attached is the screenshot of Express PCB, the program I'm using to design the base PCB for this project.

While I haven't done exact number crunches, I do believe and am under the impression that 40amp on the 12volt rail and ~50+ amps on the 5volt rail is possible.

Please note, costing isn't an issue, this is purely for feed back, will it work in theory and ideas for improvement to the design.

Thank You
    ---
    Pyro

By all means, if you want to design your own power supply go ahead. There are, however, a number of automotive power supplies that will do what you designing and more. You don't have to build your own.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

indeed, I've only read a small portion of what is available knowledge-wise on this website, i'm doing this mainly for 2 reasons, i get bored easily and this is one area of few that im gifted in, and because it gives me bragin rights lol

main thing is if its actually going to work been some time since i tried anything like this

Comment

1) You will need to make those traces thicker for the current you are planning to provide.
        2) 50A + 40A = 90A. Many alternators can't provide continuous 90A output and power other systems in the car. Why would you need 50A for 5V in the 1st place anyways? What's going to need 250W @ 5V?
        3) You'll need bigger caps than that.

Comment

dont think anything on earth would need the 50amp of 5volt goodness, however it was a design flaw/benefit, either way you look at it the extra head room comes at little cost
          caps and traces will be enlarged on future improvements, thank you

at this stage while it is just a mental exercise should it prove viable a working prototype will be made

Comment

250w at 5v is a little overboard. Anything that requires that much current from 5 volts may as well use 12 volts. Just my 2 cents though.
            All though it may work, I dont think you are going to use nearly half of what you may think.
            Then again, I have no idea what this is for so may be you will. But thinking of a carpc, mine only uses up to 85 watts total system. I can't imagine needing 730 total watts to power everything. My car total car with carpc doesnt even use that.
            New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
            New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
            "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

Originally posted by digital79 View Post
              1) You will need to make those traces thicker for the current you are planning to provide.
              X2

I've worked with ExpressPCB...it's easy to change. I'd reccommend heavier traces as well for the main power feeds...

Comment

Perhaps you can even do a double sided PCB. One side for positive traces, the other for negative.

Comment

For the record, if you were to make traces that could pump out 40amps, they would have to be 1.5 INCHES wide! Even then it would heat up by about 15 degrees every time you used it. Your resistors would have to be huge to handle such high power, and your regulators would have to be a ton beefier than that.

Sorry man, but this design is definitely not putting out that much power any time soon.
                  2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
                  Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
                  Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
                  The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

While I haven't done exact number crunches, I do believe and am under the impression that 40amp on the 12volt rail and ~50+ amps on the 5volt rail is possible.
                    I'll buy one! ....
                    MikeH

Comment

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea how large a 100W resistor is? Looks to me like you're going to have a giant heater board. I'd be curious to see the schematic to see if I'm reading this right.
                      "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                      RevFE
                      My Shop

Comment

Originally posted by digital79 View Post
                        2) 50A + 40A = 90A. Many alternators can't provide continuous 90A output and power other systems in the car. Why would you need 50A for 5V in the 1st place anyways? What's going to need 250W @ 5V?
                        50 amps would not get drawn from the alternator for the 50 amps on the 5 volt rail. 50 amps at 5 volts is 250 watts. 250 watts at 13.4 volts is 18.7 amps.

Regardless, this would still be ridiculously powerful. It would be pretty nice to have 40 amps of regulated 12 volts laying around to make some equipment happier.
                        My Nearly Complete Car:
                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
                        http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
                        http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

It would be pretty nice to have 40 amps of regulated 12 volts laying around to make some equipment happier.

Image attached for 30amp 12volt regulator
                          as you can see i have removed the 5volt line completely out of this unit and also used the ideas of others to improve it also, the main IC regulator can of coarse be changed to the common 7812 IC with everything else remaining the same

dont think its included on the parts list on image, the power transistor is MJ2955 Hi-Power Output PNP (http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/Z1800)

Comment

Judging by resistors, isn't that circuit only good for 35 watts?
                            My Nearly Complete Car:
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
                            http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
                            http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PaulF View Post
                              50 amps would not get drawn from the alternator for the 50 amps on the 5 volt rail. 50 amps at 5 volts is 250 watts. 250 watts at 13.4 volts is 18.7 amps.
                              This circuit uses linear voltage regulator. In this approach, output current can't be greater from the input current.

DC-DC converter is a better solution for high current loads.

Comment

Working...
                              X