Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best battery

hey

Whats the best car battery to use when it comes to long lasting with out the motor being on and currently running a carpc and 7" screen and a Mono block..well practically the whole car.

If you are not looking to get dual batteries and just want one good starting and deep cycle battery, then probably the Optima Yellow Top.

Comment

If you are planning on running for length where it can be killed over and over, you NEED a deep cycle (some call it "marine") battery. These are the expensive ones. Expect to pay $200 to $400 for it.

The Optima YellowTop is a great battery and I have one in my car.
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

thanks alot guys....what about the redtop are they good....i need a battery that will last me to power my carpc amp and speakers without the engine running so i need it to last me atleast 2-3 hours but also have enough to power to turn on my engine.

Comment

RedTop = lots of power at once (like what a diesel needs in cold)
          YellowTop = regular power but more of it for long times (endurance)

Also 2-3 hours with a CarPC could be tricky, so you better use low power stuff. May need a multiple battery setup.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

what about the bluetop i know its for marines but is it better then yellowtop

Comment

Yellow Top is generally, most highly recommended for cars, depending on your car and how you want to set it up

also make sure you dont get a battery with too high CCA that its insane, as there have been cases where the cars alternate just cant charge it up. this goes for dual battery setups also, generally most people go for 2 smaller batteries, not to 1200CCA monsters

most large sedans and 4WD have ample room to have a duel battery set up

normally, its done with the standard main as the starter feeder battery, and the second feeding of the first, powering your extras(like audio and CarPC) there are many good isolates out there, easy to find.

My 2 Cents

Comment

you could also go with kinetik and odysssey
                Carputer to sell : http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/vbcl...?do=ad&id=2684

Comment

Redtop is not deep cycle.
                  Yellowtop is deep cycle (can recharge from deep power drains to full energy capacity)
                  Bluetop is meant for Boats and RVs. Not sure how it would be for car application.

I have a yellow top and it's great. I would also recommend looking into Odyssey Batteries.

Comment

Thanks alot guys i really appreciate your help thank you.

Comment

I've had longevity issues with Optima's (lasting 2 years and having a horible time dealing with the warranty). The Odyssey's I have tried are great batteries.

Comment

Highest RC/Ah time and CCA would be best. Though as long as the CCA is within your car needs you will be fine, but you can never have too much CCA. hehe.

walmarts in So Cal have a deep cycle 115 RC time battery for like 70 bucks just to give you an idea.

A yellow top is 100-120 RC.
                        Core duo
                        1tb harddrive
                        256 ddr
                        8 lilliput
                        bu-353

still installing...

Comment

Optima aren't the best or longest lasting deep cycle batteries. If you want the absolute best, get a LifeLine. They are what the hardcore RVers use, and you are basically doing the same thing with it. You'll need to calculate the draw you're going to have, and then plan for one, or a bank of them.

You also can't draw a deep cycle down to zero. They are designed to be drawn down to 50% of their capacity, or they will be damaged. So if you need 100 Amp Hours during the time you have the car parked, you'll need a minimum of 200 Amp Hours capacity. Even that isn't recommended to get the best life out of the batteries. 200 Amp Hours worth of batteries is going to at roughly 120lbs to your car. Maybe a drop in the bucket compared to what some people add in sound deadening.

Another thing to consider is using some type of the above AGM types of batteries, rather than the much, much cheaper lead acid batteries. Especially if you will be in the car with them. The lead acid ones need to be sealed from the cabin, and vented to outside. AGM batteries don't. A lot more expensive though.

Comment

Working...
                          X