Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPS in car

Hello everyone,
    I started my project a few months ago, i am using a eeepc and i want to power it using a ups.
    I will remove the ups battery and connect the car battery to the ups.
    if anyone has done this before please replay if you had any problems.

note.I already have a ups and i removed the buzzer.
    my first project VW MKIV CarPc

there was just another thread aobut this--- i think it was by humongusbacon.

short answer, Don't Do It!!!!
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Are you sure the car battery will work for the UPS? I really don't see this being a good idea though.

Comment

i had my first carpc powered by an ups and it worked fine,low consumption(~55W)
          Oltcit turbo power!

Comment

What can brown do for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
              Not sure why you want a parcel delivery service in your car powering your PC.

Sounds pretty labour intensive and costly.
              lmao... that's funny this topic came up though... I was loking into this about 5 months ago.. as laptop main benifit is the battery and able to go to standby for long time.. so I ebayed some UPS's.. NO Enforcer not the delivery man..I found those things expensive for 2 hr standy mode and took even longer to charge thay hefty box
              Did it.. Done it... now I got to keep the neighbors kids away!!

Comment

It really just depends on the current load of the UPS as to how long it will last. If you have an eeePC plugged into it, and that's it, it should last quite a while compared to what it's rated for. Typically the ratings are found by powering a desktop computer + 15" CRT monitor. A lot of the newer ratings are now showing LCDs however.

Hooking up the car battery to the UPS would probably be a big no-no, plus I don't think it would work if there wasn't AC power to it initially that it could sense was missing. Also, the inverters built into these things aren't really made to power much longer than the specs say. They will overheat and possibly melt/set fire to some thing, once again depending on load.

Short answer, if it's a laptop, why not just use the laptop battery + a normal power adapter/inverter?

Originally posted by julaikos View Post
                i had my first carpc powered by an ups and it worked fine,low consumption(~55W)
                What size UPS? I've never found a UPS I could power with my 150w inverter. Must have been a pretty hefty setup? I had a 325va lying around, but it just didn't cut the mustard.
                Tidder

Try RevFE
                The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

i forgot to mention
                  my first carpc was made from a compaq armada(pentium 1,366mhz ) hwo had built in the "adapter" from 220v,i had the battery but it was dead,the only solution was that ups;
                  the internal battery of the Ups was removed,and conected the "+" and "-" to the car thru a relay;i know that is not good for greater power from half os his specs (mine was 350W) si in my case it was perfect

Hooking up the car battery to the UPS would probably be a big no-no, plus I don't think it would work if there wasn't AC power to it initially that it could sense was missing. Also, the inverters built into these things aren't really made to power much longer than the specs say. They will overheat and possibly melt/set fire to some thing, once again depending on load.
                  have you tried?because i did ,and the ups start without AC power
                  you're right with the second part,if the curent is too big it will overheat the internals of the ups
                  Oltcit turbo power!

Comment

Originally posted by julaikos View Post
                    have you tried?because i did ,and the ups start without AC power
                    you're right with the second part,if the curent is too big it will overheat the internals of the ups
                    Yeah, my UPS wouldn't kick back over to battery operation until I plugged it back into an AC source then unplugged. It wouldn't even turn on. I know most TrippLite and APC units you can hold the power button to force on, but my little CyberPower just didn't wanna.
                    Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

So, what's wrong with using a $7 DC-DC EeePC car charger? Not as exciting as converting DC to AC and back?

Comment

I guess if you're a conformist then that would be fine.
                        Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Isn't a car battery already a UPS? Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by bemenaker View Post
                            Isn't a car battery already a UPS? Just sayin'
                            it is when you add an intelligent dc-dc power supply. why you would want to modify an a/c uninterrupted power supply in a very dangerous way is beyond me, especially when a good intelligent supply thats designed to do exactly what op wants only costs $70.

Comment

Working...
                            X