Old Opus 150 and a New motherboard 20 pins vs. 24 pins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Opus 150 and a New motherboard 20 pins vs. 24 pins

I have an old Opus 150watt that I was planning to use with a new motherboard that has more ATX pins. The Opus has 20 the new board has 24 + another 4 pin molex. Can I just used adapters? Or do I need a brand new power supply?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    BossTone74

they have adapters to use adapt the 20-24 pin connectors, but it is not neccesary(i have setup 24pin boards w/ 20 pi ps and have not had a issue, but it is best to have it), and the board will power up with a 20 pin connector. however---it will not power up without the 4 pin connector, so you will need a adapter for that(ok, technically the board will power on, but will never post or display anything).
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Check if your board requires those extra 4 pins. Mostly it is optional and used to provide extra juice to the new age graphics cards which are power hungry. Your motherboard manual should tell you the real story.

I have a Kontron 986LCD board (24Pin ATX) working just fine with 20 Pins ATX connector PSU (M2 ATX). The 4 pins are left unused as recommended in the user manual.

Comment

I have similar query here.
        I am upgrading my motherboard to ZOtac Nvidia ION which has 20 PIN. but my 160W DC-DC PSU have 20 + 4 Pin.
        Will My PSU able to power up the board ? those 4 PIN currently going straight to 4 PIN connector on my D945GCLF.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalVampire View Post
          Check if your board requires those extra 4 pins. Mostly it is optional and used to provide extra juice to the new age graphics cards which are power hungry. Your motherboard manual should tell you the real story.

I have a Kontron 986LCD board (24Pin ATX) working just fine with 20 Pins ATX connector PSU (M2 ATX). The 4 pins are left unused as recommended in the user manual.
          Interesting. My 986LCD-M didn't power up when I tried using a 20-pin ATX cable. Maybe I didn't have the power switch pins wired correctly.

Comment

Working...
          X