Carputer Won't Stay Powered On

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer Won't Stay Powered On

So I've gone around and around on this problem.

I've got a carputer installed in my 2000 Ford Mustang.

It is powered from a 12v modified cigarette power source. That line then goes to 1) the power switch and 2) a 12v sealed lead acid battery.

Then it goes right to my wide-voltage picoPSU. The whole thing works great, except that when I turn my car on, the carputer shuts down!

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

You are experiencing low voltage during the cranking of the car. The starter uses a LOT of power and the voltage drops below what the computer needs. It's like a quick power interruption in your house. Here is a discussion of the topic.

Surviving crank in your car is a challenge for all car PC installation. First thing to find out is if your cigarette lighter shuts off when during start. Many of them do.

If it does not, consider using a more capable PSU than the picoPSU, which I do not think is designed to survive crank.

Switching power supplies are often more successful at this since they can handle varying input voltages and still provide the proper output voltage. Carnetix, DSATX, and Opus are all of this type.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

That doesn't make sense though. I'm running the 12v battery to compensate for that. Why isn't it keeping the computer up?

Comment

Is that additional battery separated from car's circuit while you are starting the car?

If not, during crank, power is also drawn from that additional battery, so the voltage drops there too.

If it is separated, there's something wrong with the battery or the way it's connected.

Comment

Originally posted by digital79 View Post
          Is that additional battery separated from car's circuit while you are starting the car?

If not, during crank, power is also drawn from that additional battery, so the voltage drops there too.

If it is separated, there's something wrong with the battery or the way it's connected.

You could install a relay that switches the battery out of the circuit when you start and then switches it back in.

If you aren't using a battery isolator, one of the batteries is charging more than the other. Do a search on 'tank circuit' to find out about them.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

from what youre saying, you have a sla battery attatched to your 12v cigarette lighter... im guessing as an attempt to 'filter' the power before you feed it to your power supply.

problem is, its not a filter... or anything else thats useful really. a battery isolator can be just a simple diode (which will be fine in your case) that prevents energy from backflowing through second battery when you try to start the car (or leave your ignition on, headlights, whatever) leaving your second battery at always 12-14.4v

Comment

Aha I understand!

So what would be the best option? From what I've read, the 12v SLA needs constant power, so I guess the battery isolator would be my best bet!

Hope they have them at the Shack!

Comment

Cheap Do-It-Yourself isolator with one relay: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ml#post1331001
                After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
                New vehicle, new ideas!

Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

Comment

Ok so I got the diode from the Shack.

Now, my question is, the diode says 3Amps. 3Amps what? That it will block? Allow through?

Comment

Working...
                  X