still weird issue!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still weird issue!

I have blown out 3 start up controllers and just got another one. Fortunately, I found the problem before this one blew out.
    I have a Xenarc MP SC 8 - I noticed where the enclosure screws go in they would get REALLY hot. I thought the screws were too long and shorting out on the motherboard, thus blowing the PSUs That is not it. I was very careful to watch the the new PSU when i installed and kept feeling around the computer for hot spots, sure enough it got hot again around the screws so I immediately un plugged everything. Took the screws out started the unit again. Even putting one screw in, the screw sparked and got hot and I could hear strain on the start up controller and unplugged it.
    Somehow the back panel is shorting on the enclosure which baffles me. With the computer out of the enclosure it runs fine.

something is grounding out on the casing...check and double check..
    make a wood case... lol..jk.
    CarPc
    Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Installation & Fabrication [98%]

Total Completion Level [96.9 %]

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ct-driver.html

Comment

i think i found it. There is a large flat piece of metal on the bottom of the motherboard. It looks like the enclosure was bent just enough for this piece of metal to contact the enclosure and wear thru the paint. could this be shorting the enclosure to the back panel which has all the outputs on it??

Comment

Originally posted by chris350 View Post
        something is grounding out on the casing...check and double check..
        make a wood case... lol..jk.
        haha - im really at that point...i just repainted the entire thing, and tried to tweek te enclosure a bit so it is not contacting the bottom...

Comment

Originally posted by detrailers View Post
          haha - im really at that point...i just repainted the entire thing, and tried to tweek te enclosure a bit so it is not contacting the bottom...
          If it came down to it. Yeah make another case. Lol. But if you just insulate using paint you should be fine. At that spot that you mentioned I would put on electrical tape down on the case.
          Remember the cases usually are grounded. So that's why is heating up. Good luck.
          CarPc
          Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Installation & Fabrication [98%]

Total Completion Level [96.9 %]

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ct-driver.html

Comment

fixed it. The way I had it mounted was causing the enclosure cave in slightly and touch the mother board. I changed the mounting and everything is a OK. The guys at Mp3Car have been amazing with thier help, send me 2140 after 2140. My hat is off to them. Im just glad i found this company and everything is working again!!

Comment

Working...
            X