Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer won't start with key but starts as soon as it's plugged in.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer won't start with key but starts as soon as it's plugged in.

Well, like the title says.....as soon as I hook up power to my M2-ATX, it boots up the motherboard. No idea why, never seen that before, but I'm pretty sure it's the board because it did it on the bench with an AC ATX power supply as well. And when I use the key, it has no effect on the on/off of the computer. This is one of the last things before I put it into the car so I'm hoping to get it worked out.

motherboard: Intel D945GCLF
    power: M2-ATX (but happens without)

On the bench when it was happening, I had the power supply hooked to the 20 pin ATX and the 4 pin P4, then when I would plug it into the wall and it would start. In the car I got the M2-ATX J6 connector plugged into the on/off pins on the motherboard, 20 pin ATX and homemade P4 connector between the 2.

As a side note every time I turn it on it complains that the CMOS battery has been failed and resets all the date and stuff. I'm thinking the battery is dead but I'll mention it in case it's related. Otherwise I'll fix that later.
    Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Just tried something else and got the same result.

I unhooked the remote wire from the M2-ATX, the one that's supposed to tell the amplifiers to turn on, and I unhooked the power cable that goes from the M2-ATX to the motherboard to tell the motherboard to turn on. I also unhooked the switched wire from the M2-ATX, the one that tells the M2-ATX to turn on.

So the only wires hooked to the M2-ATX were:
    - 20 pin ATX connector to motherboard
    - P4 connector to motherboard
    - power wire to battery
    - ground wire

AND IT STILL HAPPENED! Isn't that unbelievable? I've never seen anything like that before, as soon as you plug it in, it turns on the motherboard somehow.
    Ampie Case
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

By the looks of this, it's the dead CMOS battery causing it. Anyone else seen this before? I'll try getting a new battery and see if that fixes it.
      Ampie Case
      256 MB DDR2 PC5400
      M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Okay, it wasn't the CMOS battery, I just changed it. But I did get some new symptoms after putting it into the car.

While running the M2-ATX in the car, I figured out the following:
        - turning the key to the on position after it's been off for a while will turn it on
        - turning the key to the off position will turn the computer off after 30-60 seconds, I haven't timed it.
        - turning the key back on after a few seconds does nothing
        - turning the key off again turns the computer back on

And sometimes when it turns off, it'll turn on again by itself a few seconds later.

W.........T..........F?
        Ampie Case
        256 MB DDR2 PC5400
        M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

the few times i have had weird startup/shutdown issues with the m2 is when the motherboard went to sleep on its own, or the battery drained or something else that shouldnt normally happen. i have a switch that cuts all power to rem and batt leads, just leave the m2 disconnected for a few seconds while its grounded and it should reset itself.

Comment

It's not the power supply because it happens the same way on a regular 120 volt ATX power supply in the house. It's something to do with the board.
            Ampie Case
            256 MB DDR2 PC5400
            M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Try to reset the BIOS to Optimum settings or Fail Safe settings or Factory Default.
              I think the drained BIOS battery screwed with your settings.

Comment

some motherboards are polarity dependent with their power switch. its possible your board boots on a gnd signal, and you might just have to flip the j8 connector around to get your + and - aligned right.

Comment

I'll try that, thanks.

I took my motherboard to the place that I bought it from and they did some bench testing on it and confirmed it's doing the same thing on their bench. They also said it's normal for these motherboard which I don't think is right, they said they do that and you're just not supposed to disconnect the power to it.

But while that was at the shop, I went to the guy I sold my old parts to and picked up my old M10000 and M1-ATX from him. I got them back to the house and put together the M2-ATX with the M10000, still didn't work. When I turn the key on/off in the car it doesn't affect the computer, there's something wrong with the power supply. I swapped that out and put the M1-ATX in, it worked perfect. So my power supply must be gone, what do I do now? And also, do you think that board is supposed to act like that?
                  Ampie Case
                  256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                  M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

i had to return my m2 once already, it basically went 'stupid' on me and would turn the pc on, but didnt do anything else- no matter how i set it up.

i emailed the store i bought it from and they did an RMA without issue. i dont know if i got the same one back repaired, or just a new one, but it has been working excellent ever since.

also, most motherboards have an option to startup automatically as soon as power is applied. this could be enabled by default in your case, so after you get your m2 fixed its something to remember. either way it seems your m2 is faulty. you might have bricked both your board and m2, its very possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X