X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use a Pico 90 for display PS?

Hi Guys,
    I recently purchased my first components for my Truckputer-
    The CPU is a MCS-BB-350 from MO-CO-SO.It comes with a Pico 90W PS that I expect is a bit underpowered for what I'll be hanging on it, so I purchased a M4-ATX PS. It won't fit in the case (no problem) but I am removing the PICO as you would expect.

Can I repurpose this baby PS to use as a regulated supply for my 10" touch screen?

Any thoughts or comments?

Larz

If the screen requires 12vDC (Unlikely that the TS would require 5vDC or 3.3vDC), then you can, but it would be a kluugey setup.

Assuming the TS requires 12vDC, then I think it would be easier and more reliable to power the TS from the M4 instead.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Darque-
      I take no offense, but why would it be kludgy? I'd think an independent regulated PS might be more useful in that it sharing the total system load would save the M4 from peaking (remember I am loading it up- though not the 12v rail too much).
      Its just a thought cause PICO is extra at this point.

Keep em coming-
      Larz

Comment

Most likely your screen only draws 1amp, which is barely anything for your M4. I would say just run it off your M4 for conveniance.

Comment

Originally posted by Larzfromarz View Post
          Darque-
          I take no offense, but why would it be kludgy? I'd think an independent regulated PS might be more useful in that it sharing the total system load would save the M4 from peaking (remember I am loading it up- though not the 12v rail too much).
          Its just a thought cause PICO is extra at this point.

Keep em coming-
          Larz
          The PicoPSU is ATX-compliant. That means it doesn't provide power until it recognizes current on a certain pin (13, I believe).
          That means you have to short that pin with a ground line with a bit of wire or somesuch for it to provide power.

That's kluugey in my book.
          Never mind that if the wire or whatever you use to short pin 13 comes disconnected, you suddenly lose power for your screen. And that's not something one would typically look for in the process of troubleshooting.
          I could see that situation being one that causes hair to be yanked out by the roots in sheer frustration.

Not something I'd want to deal with.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
          X