Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time Newbie - DC DC Power Supply or Regulator?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time Newbie - DC DC Power Supply or Regulator?

WHat's the difference?? I want to build a Carputer based on a Core2 platform so i know i need a pretty hefty power source. What i don't know is anything about power.

I see DC-DC power supplies and i see Regulators like the carnetx P series... i just don't know what the difference is though. Does the regulator also supply motherboard power, or is it to use with a regular power supply? Also, how does the whole thing get connected to the car's power? Is this right off of the battery via some 8AWG cable or does one use a cigarrete lighter adapter?

I know i'm probably asking alot, but if someone could just explain very quickly the PROPER way to wire up a carputer, i would be very greatful.

Thanks for shedding ANY light on this subject!

One more item to add: I bought a liliput 7" monitor that comes with a cigarette lighter plug; can this be powered off of the same "power supply" as my carputer, or do i have to always "plug in"?

Comment

FAQ:
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advf...iew&advfaqid=2
      COMPLETED! 02 VW Golf TDI 7" Eee PC Budget Build

Comment

Ok, very informative article. However, my question still lies.... if i want the least fuss and want a regualator/power supply, startup shutdown control, all in one unit, what should i buy? Keep in mind, money is not a factor here; i just want a reliable power device that will last through a few iterations and upgrades of the carputer.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X