Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Best Car PSU - For Remote locking Power?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Best Car PSU - For Remote locking Power?

I had to put my carPC project on hold for quite some time and now have loads of blanks in my memory. I have been reading all the car PC PSU specs and am still not sure which one to get.

What I would realy like to do is have it so that when the car is unlocked the PSU will kick the PC into life so hopefully by the time I have got into the car and turned on the ignition (which will turn on the LCD) the carPC would have loaded or nearly loaded. Also when the battery is below a certain volts it will turn it off or when the car is locked it will turn off.

Please could you guys offer some advice.

Thanks

I know some members have tied a relay to the unlock wire on their key fob, and others will use a aux output on their aftermarket alarmto trigger the computer.

The biggest issue with having the system turn on with the door lock is if you had to get something out of the car- you would need to shutdown the computer after you grabbed whatever you needed..

Almost all dc-dc power supplies have a ignition input that controls the on/off status of the power supply, most can be setup for different times before they turn off, and some have a fixed, or user adjustable low voltage cutoff.

How you wire it is up to you- the ignition wire controls it all..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Ok Thanks, Wasnt thinking about the whole unlocking the car to just get something out. Ill go with the ignition switch and if its in hibernate using a solid state HDD the load time should be pretty quick. Are there any recommended power supplies for this (DC-DC) as there are quite a few that appear to have the same features.

Also do you know if the battery and alternator would be fine on mondeo mk3 2.5 v6 to run a CarPC + 1x small amp + 1x LCD.

Cheers
      Dave

Comment

I ran more than that off the stock battery in my Toyota Tacoma.
        It should be fine, as long as the battery is in good condition.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Thanks, Any recommendations for the PSU (DC-DC I beleive) I am going to order one of the Intel atom Dual core ITX Boards.

Thanks

Comment

just google for a power supply calculator, and find the one that best suits the needs of your hardware (or if you think you'll be constantly upgrading, get the biggest one available for your budget ).

i like my dsatx, but there are just as many people that like other models/brands, so it is really up to you adn your pick of hardware.

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by Blade007 View Post
              Thanks, Any recommendations for the PSU (DC-DC I beleive) I am going to order one of the Intel atom Dual core ITX Boards.

Thanks
              The Atoms have very little power draw. You also have to calculate USB devices that you are connecting to the setup, those can draw alot of power when you add them all up. If you do not plan to use alot, then the M2-ATX should be fine. If you want more then enough wiggle room, go with the M4-ATX. Me personally, I prefer OPUS PSUs. I currently have the OPUS 320, which would be over kill for your setup.
              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Thanks for the advice I will take a look at them. I plan to have a USB bluetooth dongle for phone, USB dongle for GPS, USB for OBDII and one for spare to plug in random device like a memory stick HDD to transfer over files. After doing the calc it looks like I wont need over 120w as I over estimated every thing and still came back below that. I could also plug the USB devices in to a hub that is powered from the car. I also was looking at using something like centrafuse as I have a copy of it, Does anyone know if the the Atoms are quick enough for this.

Thanks

Comment

the atoms should be fast enough for centrafuse.

for the power requirements-- check your power requirements with the specific rail of the power supply--it is either the m1 or m2 that likes to turn off if even one rail is overloaded(typcally, too many usb devices drawing off the 5 volt rail).

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

I dont think any PSU has a remote sense to trigger power on. You would probably need to design an external module of some sort to handle that.

But it doesnt really seem like a feasible idea. What if you just want to unlock the door to quickly grab something? That would power on the PC unneccesarily and require you to manually turn it off somehow.

Comment

I have decided to just go for the ignition switch now but for the power I take it I wouldnt have the issues of overloading a rail if I am going to run a seperate fused power cable direct from the battery to power the amp and PC.

Comment

Also would that eliminate any power issues with USB devices being pluged directly into the pc.

Comment

you need 3 wires to get any dc-dc power supply to work-- 12 volt power (fused from the battery), 12 volt switched (the ignition wire--when there is voltage on this line the power supply turns on, and will turn off after voltage is removed from this line), and a well connected ground.

power issues with usb devices are related to how much they draw off the 5 volt rail, not where they are plugged in-- if they overload the power supply, then some power supplies will shut off, but as long as you stay below the max draw, it will be fine.

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

So should that be OK then as the only cable really running through to existing wiring in the car would be the 12v switch for the ignition which I take it doesnt actually power the device it just controls the on/off switch.

Comment

Only just seem your edit. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X