DPDT relay or diode? which to use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPDT relay or diode? which to use?

i want my pc to turn on when i use remote start.
    so i wired the acc from the PSU to a 12v source on my a/c.

I just realized the a/c only comes on when i have the ign in the "on" positon.
    i want to be able to power the pc in both the "on" and "Acc" positions.

I plan to splice the 12v source from the a/c (which only turns on wen the ign is set to "on" ) to the 12v source from my cigarette lighter (powers on wen the ign is "acc")

Which would you recommend? a dpdt relay or attach a diode? In order to safely separate the two 12v sources.

if its a dpdt, can you demonstrate how to wire the relay?

thank you.
    trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Use 2 diodes for OR logic. A diode allows electricity to flow in one direction only...

ACC--->|-- \____ PSU remote
    IGN--->|-- /

This will raise the remote signal when either one is on without allowing current to flow back to either one. That looks pretty bad. I should probably draw it.

Comment

Although in most cases you should be able to find a switched source that is on when the key is either in acc or on.
      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
      - Always Recruiting Developers -
      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
        Although in most cases you should be able to find a switched source that is on when the key is either in acc or on.

would you be able to reccomend any?

its getting dark fast, lol
        and i'd rather have an idea of where to look, rather than poking around in the dark
        lol
        trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

sigh...

Good luck finding it. I think he's messing with you.

Comment

Maybe I missed the question.... but isn't the cigarette lighter powered in both acc and on?

Comment

Yes, with the key on. The run position of the key connects 3 or 4 circuits. RUN/IGN, A/C, ACC, and possible RUN2. The reason is ACC and A/C are switched off during crank, and A/C is off at ACC. A remote start connects RUN without ACC and A/C (although there are usually relay outs for 2 or 3). That's why he wants ACC or RUN.

Comment

in most cases you can make the remote start turn on all of the accessories

Comment

Curiosity is correct.
                  Right now i have the acc wire of the psu directly connected to the a/c which only gets power wen the ign is in the "on" position.

they guy that did my remote start did not set it to turn on all the accessories.
                  i might go back to him this weekend and ask him to make a few adjusts. or tell me what to do.

i really dont want to mess around with the remote starting capabilities of the car lol
                  trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

Originally posted by trinybwoy View Post
                    Curiosity is correct.
                    Right now i have the acc wire of the psu directly connected to the a/c which only gets power wen the ign is in the "on" position.

they guy that did my remote start did not set it to turn on all the accessories.
                    i might go back to him this weekend and ask him to make a few adjusts. or tell me what to do.

i really dont want to mess around with the remote starting capabilities of the car lol
                    in that case then yea a diode is the best bet....short of actually having the remote start wired correctly.

Comment

The installer probably assumed he didn't want the stereo blasting when he's not in the car. Pretty common. The HVAC is something they should ask about though. The engine heats faster with the heater off, but some think it will get warmer if it's on. The customer is always right.

The way it is now though, is that the amp remote can be cut by a relay powered by ACC and switches the remote line to keep the delay-on.

Comment

Weird. I don't understand why you'd want Remote Start without having the HVAC hooked up. I know the main idea is to start the car when it's cold outside, but 90% of the time people want remote start so they can climatize the car before getting in it. A/C in the summer and heat in the winter. /shrug

Anyway, you should be able to find SOMETHING to tap into if your installer can't/won't configure it to power up the HVAC system. Plus, worst-case, they should be able to get you another switched ouput from the alarm if nothing else. If you get the model number of the alarm, you can probably find the pinouts yourself and wire up a relay.

Cheers,

Kris
                        How Much Horsepower Can I have And Still Go To Heaven?

Comment

Working...
                        X