Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecting monitor power(110v) to 12v car battery.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting monitor power(110v) to 12v car battery.

How'ya doing fellas I'm a newbie of this forum
    I've been working on my carputer project, (Thanks to the mp3car forum guys provided information!!) already bought Intel mini-ITX mobo, M2-ATX power, etc etc. So the computer itself is ready.

But the problem is monitor. I've already bought an used 15" monitor(I already have UMPC, 7" touch screen..TOO SMALL =( ), going to buy a touch screen panel kit to convert it to touch screen monitor. Here's what I didn't expect. POWER SUPPLY!!!
    This one has 110v cable, just like every monitors, so I need to figure out how to connect this to the car battery..I've searched on google, got this kind of converter
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330272699487
    But this is what I didn't want..

Is there any way to connect 110v power cable to car battery? Any adapters?
    Thanks in advance!

You cannot get 110VAC from a 12VDC battery except thru a dc-ac converter aka "inverter".

I suggest the inverter's 110VAC output be isolated from its 12VDC input. (Some inverters had/have either side of its AC output connected to the DC input - this can be hazardous.) The AC earth should be tied to DC ground for general use.

Many inverters are "modified" or "step" sinewave. These are based on a simple (3-step) square-wave output and are NOT a true sinewave as from mains/wall AC and generators.
    This can cause extra heating and hence earlier failure in some loads.
    It can also cause other problems in loads - eg, peak & rms voltages are not the same as sinewave; noise caused by squarish waves; etc.

Inverters like the one you linked to are commonplace in department and electrical stores, autoaccessory places and even some petrol stations downunder here in Oz.

If efficiency is critical, get a dc powered display instead.

If getting a more expensive "true sinewave" inverter, I'd suggest a dc display instead.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSpark View Post
      You cannot get 110VAC from a 12VDC battery except thru a dc-ac converter aka "inverter".

I suggest the inverter's 110VAC output be isolated from its 12VDC input. (Some inverters had/have either side of its AC output connected to the DC input - this can be hazardous.) The AC earth should be tied to DC ground for general use.

Many inverters are "modified" or "step" sinewave. These are based on a simple (3-step) square-wave output and are NOT a true sinewave as from mains/wall AC and generators.
      This can cause extra heating and hence earlier failure in some loads.
      It can also cause other problems in loads - eg, peak & rms voltages are not the same as sinewave; noise caused by squarish waves; etc.

Inverters like the one you linked to are commonplace in department and electrical stores, autoaccessory places and even some petrol stations downunder here in Oz.

If efficiency is critical, get a dc powered display instead.

If getting a more expensive "true sinewave" inverter, I'd suggest a dc display instead.
      Thank you for great info, mate!!
      I've been searching for inverter stuffs, most of them have 12v outlet..
      Well yeah I can buy a multi-tap and plug into it, but my car's already messy enough cuz of the other wires..
      I don't want more mess lol.

So I think I should get the one with alligator clamp.
      Or maybe I could use cable with ring terminal(pic), it'll look cleaner than alligator clamps..

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X