Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about going from 19v mobo to standard ATX PSU type mobo..questions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about going from 19v mobo to standard ATX PSU type mobo..questions.

Hi All,
    thinking about switching mobo's, which would mean (in my case) going from a DC type powered mobo (19v power input) to a more standard ATX type PSU powered mobo (20 pin connector).

Right now, I have the Carnetix 2140 and am very happy with it. One feature that I don't think I'll want to be without is its 'dead man timer'. Along with Windows 7 hybrid sleep, this is a key feature for me: I set the system to use standby, but after 5 hours, I have the dead man timer set to completely kill power. That way, I have standby when doing starts/stops, but over the weekend, if the car sits, I don't have to worry about draining the battery.

So - question: which ATX style PSU's have this feature? The Opus 320? M2 or M4 ATX? I don't see it explicitly mentioned anywhere in the product descriptions. Or are there other ways to approach it? (never really trusted the low battery threshold thing).

TIA,
    Per

...doing some more thinking on this...

Now wondering: I have the Carnetix 2140. Should I just hook up an M4ATX (or similar) to its output? Configure the M4 to leave the USB bus always powered... I could still use the 'dead man timer' option on the 2140 where it would completely cut power after the desired time frame...Where would this break down? What am I missing? ....hmmm, how would I actually wire the ACC and constant battery of the M4?

Just brainstorming / thinking aloud...thoughts / ideas?

TIA,
    Per

Comment

allow me to continue the conversation with myself ;-)
      doesn't seem like a good idea...thinking Opus 320 instead and relying on shutdown voltage. Any side effects with using a deep cycle battery?

Comment

I believe the M2/M4 has this function, and the DSATX has a similar function, but based on voltage instead. I use this function on the DSATX with my deep cycle battery and i can go a week without draining my battery. I haven't left it any longer than a week to see how long it'll take to drain it.

Comment

Cool. What voltage did you set as the minimum on yours, and how many USB devices do you have hooked up?

Comment

i set it to 11.50V i believe, so that i still can use the testbench powersupply (12V).
            i have the following attached to my usb ports: soundcard, webcam, gps, mouse, touchscreen, wifi. The only thing i noticed while sleeping is the GPS, everything else seems to be off.

Comment

Working...
            X