Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To All Sproggy and DIY PSU Users, please answer!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To All Sproggy and DIY PSU Users, please answer!

What system are you powering, and what CPU, components, etc are on your system? I'm trying to figure out how accurate the processor power chart is, and try to create a database so that we can more accurately recommend what type of PSU will be needed depending on the system that you are running.

Additionally (or more importantly), tell us about the FAILURES that you have had trying to power your computers, so that we know what not to do!

Thanks everyone!
    IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

P233, clocked back to 210MHz, EM586 mobo, 128 Mb ram, 6.5Gb laptop harddrive, home built UIR, Futaba 4x20 VFD. All powered by a home designed, home built dc2dc. Power consumption on 5v and 12v lines is on my website.

Rob
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

failures, he he. How about assuming LDO liner regs have the same pinouts as 78xx series which have the tab as ground therefore you bolt them to a heatsink and the find out that the tab was the output so you have just shorted 12 5 and 3.3v across all three buses of your MB causing it to need warranty repair

Comment

I ran a P200MMX overclocked to 225..
        6.4gig HD
        floppy drive
        4X CDrom
        Graphics card
        Sound card
        TV Tuner card
        Modem card
        Network card
        4 60mm fans

I think thats all...

I also ran my Celeron 466 from it without the HD and the PS ran, but got pretty hot, I need to improve the heatsink to do that

Comment

what PSU did you use? did you put it together yourself?
          IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

Originally posted by Telek
            what PSU did you use? did you put it together yourself?
            Me??? I used a Sproggy 2.6 AT setup for the P200 and ATX for the Celeron (I changed it, then changed it back) was that the question? lol

And I did put it together... were you even talkign to me?? lol

Comment

so that's the 12V 1.2A / 5V 10A setup for the pentium under AT setup?

When you switched it to ATX, you had to swap the regulator to make it 3.3V?

So on the ATX setup there was only 5A on the 5V rail, hence why the PSU got so hot.

All of this info is actually really good to know!

Comment

so that's the 12V 1.2A / 5V 10A setup for the pentium under AT setup?

When you switched it to ATX, you had to swap the regulator to make it 3.3V?

So on the ATX setup there was only 5A on the 5V rail, hence why the PSU got so hot.

All of this info is actually really good to know!
                yeah, 12volts @1.2amps (which is probaly actually more like 2 amps with the engine running) and 5volts @ 10amps.

Yes, thats right, swapped the 5volt regulator for the 3.3 and unsoldered the link on the PCb

Well, I dunno, It may have gotten hotter because the Celeron 466 draws more current.. I don't know.. But I wouldn't like totry and run the CPU, HD and cards off the sproggy..

Comment

That's why you need the v2.7 version w/ two 5 volt rails and a 3.3V rail

Here check this out, I just made it:

myMp3Car PSU power requirements calculator

Tell me what you think.

Comment

That's why you need the v2.7 version w/ two 5 volt rails and a 3.3V rail

Here check this out, I just made it:

myMp3Car PSU power requirements calculator

Tell me what you think.
                    Yeah, I know I need a 2.7 to run the Celeron, But I'm not going to put it in the car, couldn't be bothered.. :P

Well, you say a mouse draws 250ma I think you should do all the numbers in miliamps not amps.. But, it looks good..

Comment

Well, you say a mouse draws 250ma
                      Oooops... off by an order of magnitude.

I think you should do all the numbers in miliamps not amps
                      Almost everything is > 100mA with most of them > 1A, so doing everything in mA would just lead to large numbers.

Comment

Perhaps mouse and keyboard aren't needed?? I'm not sure about some of your numbers... :S lol

Comment

Originally posted by Not Of The Worl
                          Perhaps mouse and keyboard aren't needed?? I'm not sure about some of your numbers... :S lol
                          Why is why, by default, the QTY is set to 0. I just have it in there so that people know how much it does take, instead of wondering.

What numbers are you questioning?

Comment

Well, just that according to your calculator, the sproggy PS can barely run a basic computer.. :S

Comment

I've had different 2 setups, but used the same old 2.5 atx sproggy design (1 5v rail and 1 3.3v rail) for each system.

1st setup:
                              440BX Motherboard (chaintek i think)
                              Celeron 400
                              64mb ram
                              10gig HD 3.5"
                              Datalux Lcd Controller
                              SB128 PCI soundcard

All fans and the LCD's inverter ran directly from the cars battery (to be more forgiving on the 12v rail). I also used the systems case as heatsink for the sproggy, but it still got pretty hot... It would almost burn your finger if you touched the bolts holding the semiconductors from the sproggy to the case. It did well tho, lasted a 200 mile journey without crashing. I only used this setup for a few months.

2nd setup:
                              Compaq Deskpro P75 (fanless)
                              8mb RAM
                              10gig HD 3.5"
                              SBAWE32 Soundcard
                              2x backlit 16x2 lcd's

This is my current setup, the nice thing about about it is that there are no fans in there, not even on the processor. The board still needed the 3.3v rail tho, as the Compaq PSU wasn`t AT or ATX (a little reverse engineering had to be done in order to use the sproggy on it).

I've never used an inverter in my car, and I hope I never will. So far i'm waiting for a sproggy design that will work with the Epia M - I'd be happy to help bit I don't have an Epia M (yet).

Edit: You might also be interested to know that I tried this same PSU with a DreamCast: When I turned the unit on I would act normally for a few seconds, then the startup noise would go "strange", the logo on the screen would freeze, and the drive would stop spinning.... Very very strange - and I haven`t tried anything since, but I would quite like to use my DC in my car eventually.
                              My Setup

Comment

Working...
                              X